> Volume - c: is dirty, Corrupt C drive help
jonnyrocks
post Jul 16 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Mall Rat
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart 5-Star Member
Member No.: 167

My computer (WinXP)started to run really slow, such as laking minuites to open up my computer, and I kept on getting messages that I had a corrupt file. After talkig to a friend, he told me to type in 'fsutil dirty query c:' into command. The following reply was not good 'Volume - c: is dirty'

I have now figured that my C drive is corrupt, but was wondering if there was an easy way to fix it, such as not re-formatting everything. Also, is it ok to make back-up copies to an eternal harddrive, or will that ebcome corrupt too?

Thanks in advance

Signature

IPB Image

Build it and they will come
Make it great and they will come in their thousands
Make it magnificent and they will come in their millions

Come Join the Racing and Duling Inc. !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post  Skin designed by Evanescence at IBSkin.com

FlyingPenguins
post Jul 16 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Frequent Shopper
Group Icon

Group: RCT Amusement Designs -Coasters
Member No.: 2,748

It might be possible to do a repair install of Windows XP, replacing the system files with new fresh versions, and leaving all your old settings and programs intact.

Signature

Formerly known as TheÜberTycoon22

My new site! FlyingPenguins Online
Projects: Lakewood Park

OrlanDude
post Jul 16 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Resident Mystic
Group Icon

Group: Aisle Patrol/Moderator
Member No.: 73

You might want to try a Windows System Restore. In the US version of Windows XP (not sure about the UK version), Windows periodically creates restore points. You can reset your computer to the way it was at the time of any of these restore points.

Of course, if there is something physically wrong with your drive, Windows Restore won't fix that, but if it's corrupt software, then System Restore might work.

:::I think I put too many commas in that sentence banana-confused.gif :::

Signature

IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

yellowrose
post Jul 17 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #4

Frequent Shopper
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart 5-Star Member
Member No.: 1,125

Backing up to an external drive should not corrupt the drive unless the corrupt file is also backed up. The best way to backup is to do it to cd.

It is always a good idea to do a reformat at least once a year. I do mine every 3 months on all of my systems due to the amount of use they get.

Start with

My Documents
Favorites
downloads you have gotten
then look at games : games saves, downloads etc
system drivers. - make sure you go to the manufacturer's site and download and backup the newest drivers
backup any program install exe files you have.
email address books/contacts
and then do a double check to be sure you have not missed anything you may want to keep and then do the format.

I realize formats are a lot of work and take time, but they are the best solution if it has not been done in a while. It takes me 3 days for this desktop from backup to reinstall of everything on a 160 gig drive, but I have a lot I need to reinstall.

Also when doing the reinstall of everything do it in stages and do a liitle testing of things when they are installed. Here is the order I use and have had no problems after a format.

windows and all drivers - make sure the internet is working and windows explorer
External hardware - webcam, printer, scanner etc and their respective drivers
If using XP create a restore point
then programs like office, graphics editing, zip and file utilities, doing a short test to be sure the program operates properly before installing the next program. When all these type programs are installed create another restore point.
Last of all load games and install any game patches and create a final restore point.

You can if you wish create a restore point after each install of a new program so if after an install a program or game does not work properly it can be uninstalled and the system restored to what it was before the install.

This may seem like a lot of trouble and you may think it takes forever while doing it, but the end result is worth it when you have a system that is performing the way it should.

Signature

Zoo Admin Zoo Tycoon Content Designer
Zoo Admin Webmaster & Design Team Leader

Rohn Starr
post Jul 17 2006, 04:36 AM
Post #5

I duzn't know nuthin'
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Designer
Member No.: 65

I disagree with you, yellowrose. I think you're overdoing this way too much. I don't find it necessary to reformat my hard drive at all. I also think that this will tend to wear out your hard drive sooner than it would under normal use.
If you do regular maintenance on your hard drive, then you shouldn't have many problems.

There are a few things you can do on a regular basis that can help.
No matter what, you should have some kind of spyware/malware program to check if you have anything that can create problems. You should do this at least once a week. More often if you go to sites that have a lot of pop-up/under windows. These types of programs can cause the slow startup as that's when they load.
Run Disk Cleanup. This will either compress or delete unecessary or old files. You do have some control over what it does, so you won't necessarily lose any information. Once a month should be enough.
You should also run Defrag at least once a month. This will help to eliminate files that are fragmented on your hard drive. Fragmented files can also be a cause of slow startup times.

Signature

Check out the RCT2 Object Creators List.

Take a break in The Outhouse

ekimmel
post Jul 17 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #6

Officially Retired
Group Icon

Group: Aisle Patrol/Moderator
Member No.: 28

You should also periodically flush your IE/Firefox caches and/or run the freeware utility Crap Cleaner regularly. Do this before you defrag your drives.

Signature

Officially Retired

Slugger Vince
post Jul 18 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #7

Window Shopper

Group: Window Shopper
Member No.: 4,652

how great would it be if this forum allowed AVATARS! smile.gif

Signature

traveling is a passion
Caribbean Cruise Lines Com Royal

Rohn Starr
post Jul 18 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #8

I duzn't know nuthin'
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Designer
Member No.: 65

QUOTE (Slugger Vince @ Jul 18 2006, 07:34 PM) *
how great would it be if this forum allowed AVATARS! smile.gif

Avatars and sig banners are allowed based on the guidelines in the Terms of Service.

Signature

Check out the RCT2 Object Creators List.

Take a break in The Outhouse

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

0 Members: