IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Advertising at RCTmart

Other RCT sites are encouraged to advertise here. In order to create a new post in this forum you must contact an administrator who will apply the Affiliate access to your permissions. RCT*Mart Affiliate sites are provided their own forum to organize their posts; other sites are welcome to post in the main forum but must still meet the following guidelines:

1. Any site advertising here should be related to RollerCoaster Tycoon 1, 2 or 3 game-play. Any site listed here must also meet the RCTmart Terms of Use (may not contain adult content, etc.)
  2. Partner sites may post links to content on their own site, but may not include the content itself in their post. Think of this as a teaser for what you're doing on your own site; don't give it all away here.
  3. All links included in the posts must resolve to an existing page on your site. Broken links will result in the post being deleted by our moderating team.
  4. We request that your site provide a similar advertising section where we can advertise RCTmart events, contests and/or promotions.
For more information contact MidwestBoyInLA and rct2nut. One of us will get back to you ASAP. Thanks!

> Community Alert, Chris Sawyer Impersonator
MidwestBoyInLA
post Aug 2 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Bottoms up!
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Founder
Member No.: 3

I just wanted to let our RCT*Mart Affiliates know of a member who has signed up here who is claiming to be Chris Sawyer. He posted in our Disney forums soliciting members to help him on an RCT3 Disney Expansion project, claiming to have contacts at Disney Imagineering backing him. (And yet, suspiciously needing members from here to help him with custom scenery, rides, and scenarios.) He also claimed to be in talks with Atari (though Frontier was the game's developer) and was waiting to hear back from them on their approval of the project. As most of you may know, or can at least understand, you don't start a project if you don't have the green-light (and the money) from the developer or distributor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I pulled the topic until I could verify his idenity as Chris Sawyer, and after several PMs (in which I requested ways to verify his identity and the legitimacy of his project - least among them the name and contact information of his publicist) he has refused to provide any means to identify him and has now resorted to threatening me if I don't reinstate his accounts and posts here. Of course he has not provided any means by which to verify his identity and continues to provide more information (unintentionally) that proves he is NOT Chris Sawyer (like a Chicago IP address, yahoo email address, lack of knowledge of how the industry really works, etc.). Given my experience in the entertainment industry, and publicity in particular, I am convinced this imposter is simply that... and not a very good one, either.

I just want other RCT sites to be aware of any members who may have signed up on their forums (username variations of "c_sawyer" and "chris_sawyer") and that he may attempt to solicit your staff and/or members to participate in his supposed project. It sounds nice on the surface, but I'm certain that this is an imposter and wanted to warn the rest of you.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or need any assistance in weeding this imposter out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
lucas92
post Aug 3 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #2

Regular Shopper

Group: Regular Shopper
Member No.: 1,941

I just saw this member last night and it isn't wise from his part to take the signature of Chris Sawyer from the credits of rct2. Anyway, this is only an another noob that came here so I don't think that an alert is necessary... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-sleep.gif)
+Quote Post
MidwestBoyInLA
post Aug 3 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #3

Bottoms up!
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Founder
Member No.: 3

If he's posting on other sites and is trying to do the same thing as he did here, and if he is claiming to be Chris Sawyer, and if the other sites believe him and don't try to get verification... then an alert is necessary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Someone tried a similar Disney project scam a few years ago at RCT Depot (claimed they had a project, with Imagineer backing, then week of the event they disappeared and never presented anything) and it backfied big time. Cost the Depot a lot of members and made a lot of people angry.

I don't know if this is the same group, but it sounded similar in many ways.
+Quote Post
wolfman
post Aug 3 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Talk to the claw

Group: Shopping Dependent
Member No.: 2,003

Sounds like someone I was told to keep an eye on at Twisted. Gets really upset after being caught in a lie or some other con. This guy jumps from forum to forum, wears out his welcome or gets bored and disappears. If he was Chris, he wouldn't be surfing the forums to get ideas. He already has his idea men, he doen't need our help.

But we do have a lot of young people who just might fall for the ruse. Good thing to add an alert. This'll put a few other forums in the know.
+Quote Post
devilman
post Aug 3 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #5

Miscellaneous Designer

Member No.: 2,236

Chris likely would never do that, if anything members would be asking him for stuff.
+Quote Post
ride_exchanger
post Aug 3 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #6

Secret Government Operative
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart 5-Star Member
Member No.: 946

Ill be on the lookout for him in the forums I moderate as well, thanks Brad
+Quote Post
MightyMom
post Aug 4 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #7

Bargain Hunter

Group: Bargain Hunter
Member No.: 1,495

Sad some have to do this for attention! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-angry.gif)
Brad I think you should report him to Frontier and Atari! Maybe they will also inform Chris that someone is doing this. Now a days identity thief is a big threat this person could be in lots of trouble for claiming to be Chris Sawyer!
+Quote Post
Leonardofury
post Aug 4 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #8

RCT Architects Member
Group Icon

Group: Aisle Patrol/Moderator
Member No.: 57

Judging by the current legal battle going on over unpaid royalties at the moment, I'm not so sure. Atari and Chris arn't on the best terms at the moment.
+Quote Post
wolfman
post Aug 4 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #9

Talk to the claw

Member No.: 2,003

Regardless, I think that the only real viable way to reach C. Sawyer is through Atari. This low-life has to be taught a lesson, regardless. I'm sure C. S. would like to know this and might be able to stop it before it goes too far.
+Quote Post
Jay2645
post Aug 4 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #10

Disney Theme Parks Club Leader

Member No.: 4,030

Heh heh, I almost fell for his little con. Luckily Rohn Starr put me back on the right track. Thanks Rohn.

Come to think of it, that's the second time fell for something like that. First back on my old forums, with another game creator, which turned out to be a prank by a friend of mine, (I was not amused) and now this.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th October 2007 - 08:53 AM

This site © 2004-2007 RCTmart Associates
No part of this site may be reproduced without the express written permission of the copyright holder(s)
RollerCoaster Tycoon is Copyright © 1999 - 2003 Atari and Chris Sawyer
Skin & buttons by MidwestBoyInLA

Support RCT*Mart TODAY!
Make a donation (in any amount) via PayPal's secure on-line payment center.