What do you like most about RCT*Mart?
Interaction with other Mart Members [ 22 ] ** [32.35%]
Contests [ 4 ] ** [5.88%]
Downloads [ 37 ] ** [54.41%]
Clubs [ 1 ] ** [1.47%]
Games/Trivia (Food Court) [ 1 ] ** [1.47%]
Tutorials/Help with RCT Game Play [ 1 ] ** [1.47%]
Other [ 2 ] ** [2.94%]
What needs the most improvement at RCT*Mart?
Contests [ 16 ] ** [23.53%]
Downloads [ 13 ] ** [19.12%]
Clubs [ 12 ] ** [17.65%]
Tutorials [ 13 ] ** [19.12%]
Other [ 14 ] ** [20.59%]
How often do you visit RCT*Mart?
Every day [ 34 ] ** [50.00%]
2-3 days per week [ 21 ] ** [30.88%]
Once a week [ 7 ] ** [10.29%]
Twice a month [ 4 ] ** [5.88%]
Once a month [ 1 ] ** [1.47%]
Less than once a month [ 1 ] ** [1.47%]
Total Votes: 204
Guests cannot vote 
MidwestBoyInLA
post Jun 22 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Bottoms up!
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Founder
Member No.: 3

I figured it was time to take a site survey and check in with our members to find out what YOU want out of RCT*Mart.

We've noticed some decline lately in member and staff activity (as a result of real life and also as a result of a general decline in RCT game play), so we figured now was a good time to find out what it is those of you who are still visiting the site want in your RCT*Mart experience.

This is a brainstorming exercise so no idea is too outlandish, and we want to know what's on your mind. What brings you to RCT*Mart? What keeps you coming back? What do we have that you like? What don't you like? What could we be doing better?

Have an idea for a special project? A certain kind of contest you're dying to have us host (so you can presumably win)?

Then here's your chance to tell us.

Bear in mind that we often allow members to help us lead projects they may suggest (like Survivor, etc) and this can be a good way to get your foot in the door of the Staff Break Room, too, so if you'd like to lead any projects (or help out organizing them) be sure to let us know that, too.

If you replied to the poll above please post a reply and elaborate on your answers so we can better understand where you're coming from.

Thanks for helping us make RCT*Mart a better site!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jonnyrocks
post Jun 23 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #2

Errrrrrr
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart 5-Star Member
Member No.: 167

Well, I must say the contests are the best, and need the most improvements as well, especially RCT2 ones. the recent mini-park's populatity shows this, possibly some more, perhaps unthemed coasters?

Although I visit the mart every day, I don't always post, either because I have nothing to say, or not much is going on. Roll on the holidays!
+Quote Post
MidwestBoyInLA
post Jun 23 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Bottoms up!
Group Icon

Specific suggestions/ideas for contests are appreciated. I often feel we run out of ideas or do similar contests over. If you want to actually propose a specific contest, please do so.

People often ask for more non-themed coaster contests... but what exactly are you looking for? We've done them in the past and participation is low (people often win because no one else enters).
+Quote Post
pnkfloyd12
post Jun 24 2006, 06:30 AM
Post #4

Shopping Dependent
Group Icon

Group: RCT Amusement Designs -Coasters
Member No.: 24

Personally, I like the non-themed coaster contests better. It can be any kind of coaster, or tracked ride for that matter. The landscape could just be one plain piece of flat land where no changes to the landscape are allowed, or it can be in a landscape to be turned into a park, but still with no landscaping changes allowed.

The winning non-themed entries could then be used for structure building contests.

This could also be made into a, sort of, double survivor contest like the one we had last year. Have 10 contestants for each contest (members can participate in both if they choose). For the non-themed contest, both a winner (whose ride is used for the structure building contest) and a loser (who gets voted out) would be chosen. The structure building contest follows the same format with the winning entry moving on to the next non-themed contest, and so on.

When it's over, you have an ultimate non-themed coaster survivor and structure building survivor. Plus you have individual winners from each stage of the contests.

The only change I'd like to see from last year's survivor contest would be to let the participants be the judges, with the obvious stipulation that no one can vote for themselves.

Just a rough idea that can carry on for a few months.
+Quote Post
lightkeeper
post Jun 24 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #5

Window Shopper

Group: Window Shopper
Member No.: 4,394

I thinks it's kind of funny that the moment I'm interested in a contest, there aren't any to enter! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-dazed.gif)

Anyways, I like pnkfloyd's contest idea, because it gives us non coaster builder's a way to participate.
Another contest idea that I think would be interesting is one where you create a contest. Bassically a workbench contest. I haven't quite hammered out how this would work in my mind, but it would be a good way to come up with workbenchs. Each bench could be judged on surrounding structures, interior structures (which would be limited), park space and requirements, and landscape. If you guys are interested let me know, and I'll write up something a little more comprehensible.

Also, if no idea is to wacky, then I have one that I would love to see as a special event project. Stargate SG-1 is beginning their tenth season this year, which will make it the world's longest running Sci-fi television show, and I think it would be neat to see a project comemorate that.
+Quote Post
MidwestBoyInLA
post Jun 24 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #6

Bottoms up!
Group Icon

Lightkeeper, I'm interested. Write something up if you like and PM it to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also let me know whatyou had in mind for a Stargate commemoration? Are you thinking custom objects?

The only problem with something like pnkfloyd12 mentioned is that you need to have 10 participants each month... something that I think will be tough. As it was with our RCT*Mart Survivor we had 3 people drop out during the contest. That really threw a monkey wrench in things.

But... I'm willing to give it a try. Pnkfloyd... can you do an outline of the rules for something like that?

I'm also trying to turn around an RCT2 non-themed coaster contest to launch this week. I may get it done today. Just something to hold us over 'til we can get something better planned.
+Quote Post
pnkfloyd12
post Jun 24 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Shopping Dependent
Group Icon

Group: RCT Amusement Designs -Coasters
Member No.: 24

Yeah, I can try and come up with an outline for that. However, you wouldn't need to come up with 10 participants every month, just 10 to start with. Well, 10 non-themed ride particpants and 10 structure builders.
+Quote Post
yellowrose
post Jun 24 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Frequent Shopper
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Phoenix - Member
Member No.: 1,125

With being admin of 1 game fansite(ZooAdmin) and Webmaster of my own site(ZTC Downloads Directory) I have found myself very busy. I have cut down my everyday visits to 2 to 3 and sometimes a little more a week.

I originally came to the mart for downloads and joined and stayed because of the awesome people and atmosphere the Mart has.

I joined a club but shortly after the clubs slowed down. I unfortunately don't have a lot of time for entering contests.

But I'm sure using some of the ideas we have used for ZT they can be adapted for RCT as well.

You could also do what we do at ZA to help somtimes with low entries for contests. Have a screenshot contest where members post screenshots of a track or a structure or a themed area of a park.

Have the posting take place say for the first 25 days of the month, then use a poll with options to vote for the one they like best. and that decides the winner.

We found when members don't always have time to do building to enter a zoo building contest they did have time to post a screen of an exhibit they had built in a previous zoo and then to take the minute or 2 to review all the entries and cast a vote at the end of the month to decide the winner.

We then borrowed the idea of contest sig pics as prizes.

Another idea for contest prizes is the exclusive use of a new download for a month before release to the rest of the site members. (ex June winner gets it exclusivly for July and then release to everyone in August).This doesn't always have to be done and it doesn't have to be a tab of objects but just something special that will add interest to a park or an interesting building element that would be colorable and could be used with just about anything.

You could also do what one of the other ZT sites did last year. Have a Blind Date Intersite contest where 2 members - 1 from each site are paired together to build on a small park. They don't know who they are dating until the last minute before the contest begins and are sworn to secrecy until the entries are revealed.

Hmmmmmm this could be real interesting....lol....who would date the bear.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-pbbbt.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-lol.gif)

That's about it for now if my brain unfreezes I'll post some more ideas.
+Quote Post
lucas92
post Jun 24 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #9

Regular Shopper

Group: Regular Shopper
Member No.: 1,941

I think that some 50*50 contests could be good (like rct2.com). I mean hacks, good workbench (with a lot of 1/4 objects, like the workbench on rct2.com), theme isn't needed, only a well designed coaster on the map, and the new supports of Toon could be nice to be in the workbench...

I think that 1 month is enough to make the park.

I think that some park downloads could be nice (hosting parks like rctmiracles did, great parks only accepted) . I think that more tutorials here could be nice too.

The Mart is for me, the best objects site ever made so keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-wink.gif)
+Quote Post
dukefan
post Jun 26 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #10

Duke

Group: Bargain Hunter
Member No.: 4,468

I agree with Yellow rose.
I came for the downloads, but got hooked by the folks here.
I have been treated coursely at some of the other sites, since I am not very computer literate, yet no one here has ever told me that my question was idiotic or silly.
I also agree that this is the best objects site around.

As for ideas, I think going back a few years would be good.
Do a "LOTR" like project for the Terminator, X-Men, or Indy Jones flicks, or perhaps even Star Wars & Star Trek. You could also throw in a Superheroes park, where the rides/attractions/shows are all about the superheroes we grew up with.

Then there's always the old stand-in's.
I once made a park focused on John Wayne Flicks.

I like the idea of the screenshot contest.
No themeing, just a shot of the coaster, and may the best one win.
I could and most likely would get into that.
One idea I do have for a contest would be to create a landscaped bench, and let the winner be the one who best preserves the scenery, yet makes a great park.
I have a bench that might work for that.
I call it Thunder Valley, I d/l it from another site, and edited the scenario to make it plausible for my game play.
Anyway, Ole Duke gives RCT-Mart a 10!! for content, staff courtesy, and knowledge.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2007 - 06:49 PM

This site © 2004-2007 RCTmart Associates
No part of this site may be reproduced without the express written permission of the copyright holder(s)
RollerCoaster Tycoon is Copyright © 1999 - 2003 Atari and Chris Sawyer
Skin & buttons by MidwestBoyInLA

Support RCT*Mart TODAY!
Make a donation (in any amount) via PayPal's secure on-line payment center.