Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Earthquake in Ohio, shake shake shake
Fossil
post Mar 17 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Frequent Shopper

Group: RCTmart Partner Site
Member No.: 86

Our on-the-scene reporter Fossil is reporting LIVE, from earthquake country.

I heard that there was a 3.6 quake yesterday in Dayton, Ohio, and it was kind of a big deal there.

I hope our friends in Ohio enjoyed the ride. In RCT terms, its Richter and its intensity were about the same. That is to say, only the little peeps turn green.

A little known fact is that one of the biggest quakes in the past 200 years in the U.S. was in the Midwest. The 19th century New Madrid earthquake in the lower Mississippi Valley was estimated at 8.0, and rang church bells on the East Coast. FYI - each number increase on the Richter means intensity increases by a factor of 10.

Make sure you have some good earthquake music downloaded and plenty of supplies socked in, and you're good to go.

Hey Fos, earthquake music?

Yeah, you know. Titles like:

Whole lot of shakin' goin' on

Shake, Shake Shake!

Shake your Booty

And lyrics like,
"You make the earth ... move ... under my feet
You make the sky go
Tumblin' down
Tumblin' down

But in a pinch, any ol' rock 'n' roll will do, LOL.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Spunknit
post Mar 18 2007, 05:31 AM
Post #2

Official Llama Herder!
Group Icon

Group: Store Manager
Member No.: 5

I just love your sense of humor, Fossil!! It actually was centered more around Ravenna (Closer to Cleveland/Akron), which is no where near Dayton. A woman had a fault line appear in her back yard! I didn't feel a thing, as it was too far away. It happened on Monday, March 12. Unless there's a new one I haven't heard about yet!

Now the one we had in 1986, that one was a real rocker! Pictures on the wall were swaying, the building shook, concrete crumbled! A friend worked near a manmade pond, which cracked & all the water drained! It may not be a big deal for you California folk, but for us Ohioans, it was a huge shake up!

Some of my favorites:

I'm All Shook Up (Elvis Presley)

Shake Rattle & Roll (Bill Haley & The Comets)

You Shook Me Baby (Led Zeppelin)

(Been a Long Time Since I) Rock & Roll (Led Zeppelin)

The House is a'Rockin' (Stevie Ray Vaughan)
+Quote Post
Fossil
post Mar 18 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #3

Frequent Shopper

Group: RCTmart Partner Site
Member No.: 86

You're right, Spunky - it was on the 12th. The report I read said it was "yesterday," but I didn't check the date of the report (duh).

As a Californian, I've been in more quakes than I can even remember. With some, the floor just drops and everything literally falls. Standing next to a dresser or bookcase is disconcerting when that happens.

Peeps being peeps and always seeking new thrills, Parkfield, CA has become a hot vacation spot. Parkfield is probably the most geologically active location in the continental U.S.

The U.S. Geological Survey has Parkfield wired with the most extensive earthquake monitoring anywhere in the world. Sure, you can take your family to see "Old Faithful," but where's the excitement in that? Visit Parkfield for a couple of weeks, and you've got a decent chance of feeling the earth move. Visit it with somebody you love, and your chances improve, but that's a different topic.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana-wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Wagi
post Mar 18 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #4

RCT*Mart Credit Card Holder
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 11

You sure it wasn't just Spunky's Roadkill Chili kicking in? That's been known to cause church bells to start ringing and dogs to howl four counties away.
+Quote Post
OrlanDude
post Mar 18 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #5

Resident Mystic
Group Icon

Group: Aisle Patrol/Moderator
Member No.: 73

I used to live pretty close to Ravenna (in North Canton), just one county away. I'll bet they felt it back home in Stark county. I've never felt the experience of an earthquake or (thankfully) a tornado, but since I've lived in Florida (over 20 years), I have survived a number of hurricanes, one of which went practically over my house (Charley in 2004).
+Quote Post
Spunknit
post Mar 19 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #6

Official Llama Herder!
Group Icon

Group: Store Manager
Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Wagi @ Mar 18 2007, 10:23 PM) *

You sure it wasn't just Spunky's Roadkill Chili kicking in? That's been known to cause church bells to start ringing and dogs to howl four counties away.

Hey, just cause I put a little kerosene in my chili for added flavor? You should see the fireworks that go on! You're just jealous, you ol' dustmop!

Personally, I'm not sure I could live with the stress of earthquakes all the time...or hurricanes either! Not sure the ol' ticker could handle the commotion!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2007 - 05:30 PM

This site © 2004-2007 RCTmart Associates
No part of this site may be reproduced without the express written permission of the copyright holder(s)
RollerCoaster Tycoon is Copyright © 1999 - 2003 Atari and Chris Sawyer
Skin & buttons by MidwestBoyInLA

Support RCT*Mart TODAY!
Make a donation (in any amount) via PayPal's secure on-line payment center.