Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How in The World
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > Q&A Desk
yellowrose
Ok I tried to create a reel coaster on my own but now all I have left of it are the screens I took of it. How do you save a coaster in the coaster designer ???
Neeltje
You test the coaster untill you've got the statistics. In that same window, on the right is the icon of a floppy disc. You save the coaster by clicking on that.
ekimmel
Double-click on your coaster then click on the tab for the statistics and there will an icon of a floppy disk in the lower right corner. Click on that.

Note that you can't do it until the ride has been tested and it is showing statistics.
yellowrose
Thanks for the help.

I guess oldtimers is really setting in now or I'm blind and just didn't see it....lol....lol
SythDude
Don't worry, you just didn't see it. I hope you weren't searching for a year though. unsure.gif lol.
yellowrose
Got a few different ones done they look nice to me but the excitement level is super low - below 2 and the intencity level is real high above 10. How do you balance the 2 to get a nice even ride for a park ??
Neeltje
Well, you are the second person in a few days needing a basic tutorial on how to build coasters. I will try to make a helpfull basic tutorial and post it as a new topic here in this subforum.
ktysmi
That would be great. Especially if you did like one type of coaster a week and shared all the little do's and don't for that kind of coaster.
Neeltje
Okay, I prepared screenshots for the tutorial. It is for a wooden coaster because I consider that type of very good for learning the basics. It's 10.45 pm here now, so I will upload the pics tomorrow to a site, and try to post the tutorial some time tomorrow.
I don't think I can do a tutorial on all types of coasters, I'm not that good. I can write a basic tutorial because I learned to build step by step and made real stupid beginners mistakes.
But I hope some better designers than me can add their knowledge to describe the more advanced techniques.
ekimmel
QUOTE (yellowrose @ Dec 27 2004, 12:27 PM)
Got a few different ones done they look nice to me but the excitement level is super low - below 2 and the intencity level is real high above 10. How do you balance the 2 to get a nice even ride for a park ??

Excitement rating drops rapidly once the intensity is over 10.

Here are some general rules. You want:

- vertical G's under 4
- vertical negative G's under 2
- lateral G's under 2

I'd start with wooden coasters and don't make the lift hill higher than 65 feet. Then follow Neeltje's tutorial. I'm sure it will be excellent.
SythDude
Pretty much, you just want to pretend that you are going to ride this ride. Use your common sense to determine what would be strenious(sp?) or pleasurable for a ride. Make sure to bank turns over speeds of 25mph and the rest is posted above. Yes, a Vertical G over 5 would hurt. sad.gif
ekimmel
Vertical G's are the ones that make you want to pass out during a loop or at the bottom of a large hill when you start going back up. Negative vertical G's are the ones that slam you up into a lap bar when going over a hill. They are much worse with lap bars than shoulder harnesses, in my opinion. Just the right amount of negative vertical G's give you what is commonly called "air time". Lateral G's are the ones that slam you against the side of the car or your head against the shoulder harness. Obviously excessive amounts of any of those are a bad thing.

Most of these are really easy to see in RCT3. In RCT2 you kind of have to imagine being on the coaster or you have to go by the graphs and statistics.
SythDude
I'm a vertical G fan. I cannot stand lateral G's in the slightest amount. dry.gif
OrlanDude
I agree, Sythdude, I love the 'air time' and hate the 'head banging' lateral G's.
Josho
Just to give an idea of what vert G's do to your blood circulation (to understand why you feel the way you do)

Pos vert G's draw blood away from the brain. As such, prolonged pos vert G's may cause a black out.

Neg Vert G's push blood into the head. This is a lot worse, and going too far can cause a red out (which is where you see red in front of your eyes)

The moral of the story is that neg vert G's should be minimised as the body has a lower "tolerance" to those negative G's. However, the body has a better tolerance to positive vert G's, but going too far and then the peeps will feel like fighter pilots climbing quickly into the air with after burners kicked in.

With your coaster, I suggest looking at the graph that follows the trains along the track, and seeing where there may be points where there is sharp increases in the vert G's, or a plateaued vert G point, and fixing that area of track, usually by having the speed of the train approaching the section slowed down. People can also look at the track as well and get an idea of where things might be causing some problems with the stats.
yellowrose
Thanks everyone. I'll just keep practicing until I get it just right then maybe I'll have something I can post and show you.banana-smile2.gif

OK Everyone honest opinions please. This is the first somewhat balanced track I've made. It's rather large total 6,444 feet with 14 drops and a top speed of 39mph. You can see the rest of the stats and a screen Here on my new Tracks Page.

This was my first real try and I don't understand all the terminology behind a track as yet so go easy on me ok....lol...lol

ekimmel
Your intensity is high because of your 2.33 lateral G's. It's probably one of those un-banked turns. Find it and change it and your intensity will go down and your excitement will go up.

Also I'm not a big fan of multiple helixes.
ride_exchanger
That intensity looks like a 6.70 in the screen, not a 9.70. Are you sure you got it right, YR?
SythDude
It's very complex and long for a beginner. Maybe you should start smaller and use a woodie or something. Remember, baby steps first. Good luck yellowrose! banana.gif
Neeltje
The tutorial is ready. /forums/index.php?showtopic=1784

--------------- TOPIC NOTICE by: Matt ---------------
user posted image
Topic Moved from Tutorial Workbenches to Q&A Desk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.