Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crash thread, UCES crashed the game? Come inside
Fossil
post Jul 17 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Frequent Shopper

Group: RCTmart Partner Site
Member No.: 86

This is the thread for program crash problems.

ANY SCENARIO WITH CUSTOM SCENERY MAY CRASH RCT2. JUST TRY STARTING THE SCENARIO A SECOND TIME. THIS WILL USUALLY WORK.

Windows 2000 users: RCT2 has some additional problems with Win2K. If you get a flickering loading bar that doesn't go away, try this:

Kill the game with the Task Manager.

1. Rename the RCT2 folder ObjData to some other name.
2. Create a new folder called ObjData.
3. Start the game, then exit.
4. Delete the new ObjData folder.
5. Restore the name ObjData to the original ObjData folder.

I think I got that right - if not, someone please correct me.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fossil
post Aug 17 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Frequent Shopper

Group: RCTmart Partner Site
Member No.: 86

Hi folks. I got the message from Josho over at the Depot. He's worked through it; I did the steps above from my (somewhat addled) memory. So, Windows 2000 users, here 'ya go:

G'day Fossil

I had a look at a post you made regarding the Crash Thread for UCES at RCT Mart, and your method for dealing with the flickering loading bar when a scenario fails to load under Windows 2000.

I tried your method because it seemed a lot easier to do compared to my method, however it didn't work for me.

Here is my method.

1. Kill RCT 2 via the task manager

2. Go to the ObjData folder, sort files by date, and then move the latest files present (the one's that were last checked by RCT 2) into a temporary sub folder. There is no need to delete the files.

-> To find the latest files, you have to search through looking at the times since they were last modified. Sometimes this might only vary by a matter of minutes.

3. Once you have moved the offending files, load up RCT 2. It will check the object files, as it does when any changes have been made to the folder, and then allow the game to run.

4. Close the game as per normal, then go back into the temporay folder established, and move those object files originally moved back into the ObjData folder.

5. Re-load RCT 2, it will once again run the object checker, and the game should load again.

6. When you open up the scenario that caused RCT 2 to stuff up, it will load normally because the required scenario files are in the ObjData folder.

7. Play and enjoy (which is what I've been able to do with UCES) - Curse those official "expansion" packs

Anywho, there is just some advice if you want to put that up. Believe me, it's hard to believe all those months ago I uninstalled the game about 6 times when I got that flickering loading bar problem before I hit upon that idea.

Anyway, have a great day

Kind Regards

Josh

Thanks, Josh, and you do the same!

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
n2k
post Aug 27 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Window Shopper

Group: Window Shopper
Member No.: 3,131

Here is my method.

1. Kill RCT 2 via the task manager

2. Go to the ObjData folder, sort files by date, and then move the latest files present (the one's that were last checked by RCT 2) into a temporary sub folder. There is no need to delete the files.

-> To find the latest files, you have to search through looking at the times since they were last modified. Sometimes this might only vary by a matter of minutes.

3. Once you have moved the offending files, load up RCT 2. It will check the object files, as it does when any changes have been made to the folder, and then allow the game to run.

4. Close the game as per normal, then go back into the temporay folder established, and move those object files originally moved back into the ObjData folder.

5. Re-load RCT 2, it will once again run the object checker, and the game should load again.

6. When you open up the scenario that caused RCT 2 to stuff up, it will load normally because the required scenario files are in the ObjData folder.

7. Play and enjoy (which is what I've been able to do with UCES) - Curse those official "expansion" packs

Anywho, there is just some advice if you want to put that up. Believe me, it's hard to believe all those months ago I uninstalled the game about 6 times when I got that flickering loading bar problem before I hit upon that idea.

I dont understand wat he means by that, i have them arranged by date, but stilll dont understand. How many folders is it?

This post has been edited by Spunknit: Aug 27 2005, 03:16 PM

+Quote Post
Nforce
post Aug 27 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Do you know who I am? I don't.
Group Icon

Group: Aisle Patrol/Moderator
Member No.: 71

You'll need to create a new folder in which to store the object files you are 'deleting' from the objdata folder. This would be a second folder with the object files in it.

You only need the two folders for the most part. But you may find that having other folders will be a bigger benefit later on.

--------------------
The force of N
What that means, I have no idea.

Owner of NForce Construction and Supply Co., Inc.
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
n2k
post Aug 27 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Window Shopper

Member No.: 3,131

so, i create a new folder just for the download, then delete it? Im sorry im so stupid

+Quote Post
Nforce
post Aug 27 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Do you know who I am? I don't.
Group Icon

Group: Aisle Patrol/Moderator
Member No.: 71

Nope, you don't want to delete that folder. And you're not stupid, just new to the issue from what I gather.

What I've done is create a folder where I store all my object downloads. Within that folder I have separate folders for creators that have provided more than one object/theme group for download. This is where you keep your downloads exactly how you downloaded them. Where you put this folders and the folders within it is totally up to you. DO NOT delete this folder.
In fact, I recommend that you back up this folder to a CD, DVD or some other form of removable/external media. Always nice to have that backup if you ever need it.

When you uncompress the objects, you want to put them in your objdata folder. You don't want to put too many objects in there at once; doing this can create problems. Primarily the flashing loading bar, which never seems to end.
I recommend that you put only about 10-20 or one theme group at a time in the objdata folder. Then start the game and let the objects load. You may, or may not get an error trapper. If you do, it's fairly normal, just restart the game. The objects you placed in the objdata folder should be available to you in the scenario editor.

Now, what Fossil and Josh have stated above is where you still get the flashing loading bar. If you do get this still, then follow their directions.

Using either Windows Explorer (my recommendation) or My Computer, you want navigate to your objdata folder and sort the objects by Date Modified. If you have icons, then you need to change the view to details. To do this, click on View in the top line menu and then click on Details. You can create your temporary folder in the objdata folder if you want. I suggest naming it 'objtemp', but you can name it whatever you want.

Now click on Date Modified in the window. This will sort the files by date/time, oldest first. Click on Date Modified again and it will sort them newest first. Since you are trying to load the UCES scenarios, all of the files should have the same date/time, most likely today's date. Those are the files you want to move to the temporary folder.

Once you have those moved, restart the game. Hopefully, you haven't moved a file that the game requires to run. If this happens, slowly move the files back into your objdata folder from your temporary folder. That's why I recommended only 10-20 at a time. Each time you move files, start the game and then close it. It does become a long drawn out process at times. But it will work.

Hopefully you won't have to do this for each scenario, but it's possible that you may have to do so. You may also have this issue with other scenarios or saved games that aren't a part of UCES. This will work with those too.

--------------------
The force of N
What that means, I have no idea.

Owner of NForce Construction and Supply Co., Inc.
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
NuparuRacer
post Dec 28 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #7

Window Shopper

Member No.: 10,753

Wow, this has helped me a load. Thanks guys! banana-wink.gif

+Quote Post
Josho
post Dec 29 2007, 02:01 AM
Post #8

Mad Scientist

Group: Mall Rat
Member No.: 373

Goodness me, I completely forgot how it was I ran new scenarios in Win2K. Talk about painful.

Thankfully on XP and Vista, this problem appears to no longer happen, just get the object trapper error, (or whatever it is) restart the game and go again.

I miss Win2K sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
NuparuRacer
post Jan 26 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #9

Window Shopper

Member No.: 10,753

There's nothing special about Win2K. Mine's slower than holy crap.

Also, I've found out that you don't even need to do all of this. Just add or remove
something
from the objdat folder, and it will run properly.

+Quote Post
ClockworkMyr
post Jun 7 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #10

Window Shopper

Member No.: 6,837

Well, as everyone experienced, it crashed each time I installed a new scenario, which I didn't mind. There were a lot more error trappers as well, which I somewhat minded, I just had to save a lot.

What I DID mind however, was the frequency of The Dragon crashing in Dragon Islands roughly a month to a year into the scenario. I would personally like to know who thought those chain blocks were a good idea and if they considered if it could kill 36 people at least each time the scenario was done. Sorry if this is rude or harsh, I'm just fed up with that coaster.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st December 2013 - 09:43 AM