Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Behind the Mask, by OJ

ObsceneJester
post Apr 8 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #1

Regular Shopper

Group: Regular Shopper
Member No.: 582

As many of you have heard, the Olympic Events have been turned into just as much of a shamble as they were when I was trying to juggle them by myself. The following is the behind the scenes story as to why the events are in such a shamble, why certain sites have been hacked recently, who the "lead suspect" in some of the hackings is, and the solution that is being put into action to see the events live on.

As almost every member of the community knows, I recently retired, not only from the Olympics, but from RCT Resource aswell. Wanting to somehow keep Resource alive, I approached Hawk about RCT Depot taking my content. He agreed, and assured a quick and flawless transfer (after all with all the eating away of smaller site's they've done by merging, we all know they're experts at it). I then handed over my passwords for the main admin accounts to him for my FTP, Old Forums (Olympic Ones), New Forums, and paFileDB. By handing over main admin accounts on the forums, I mean I made him an admin on both with full and complete reign of power.

I then leave the community on vacation for spring break, come back, and find that my forums (both sets) have been hacked, the Olympic site moved from my server, and everything for the Olympics pointed at Hawk's server. I had specifically told Hawk I wasn't giving him the Olympics, they would go to the next site in line as determined by the Olympics Charter & Rules. However, being on the busy schedule I have, I decided to just go on, hoping Hawk would be dedicated and bring the events to life just as well or better as any other site would have. It then occured to me that Hawk was one of the 3 people (including myself) with the information to my web server, the 3rd person being unseen for almost a month (RCTmike). I was then told by Brad after he did a check-up on the problem, that a file (one of the main configuration files) was completely emptied, something only someone with FTP access could do. Sure enough, the file was empty. While I have no more hard evidence on this, it gives me Hawk as my lead suspect for who hacked RCT Resource.

Now, while his spelling gives him a look of lower intelligence, Hawk is not new to hacking. I am very ashamed and embarrassed for not coming to Brad and RCT*Mart with this sooner than I did, but with my site getting alot of traffic from RCT Depot, I didn't want to terminate that at the time. Hawk has indeed launched a hack attack at RCT*Mart before, and succeeded. Using a program known to quite a few called WWWHack, Hawk illegaly used this software expirament to illegaly knock RCT*Mart off the air for around 10 minutes. This took place around late January - early February, and sadly, I don't have any hard proof of this due to it occuring so long ago. However, during a recent arguement held with Hawk about the Olympics (which we'll discuss farther into the post), I managed to get the following out of him and take a screenshot before he swore at me and either signed offline or blocked me (though I'm sure its the later of the two). Here is the screen of the IM box on Trillian Messenger:

(IMG:http://www.rctresource.com/hawk.PNG)

Now, I understand that I was unable to get Hawk to say "Yes I remember giving you the software and hacking RCT*Mart", but you the public can take what he said how you want. As for me having the software, yes, I do still have the software, it's in a zip file, however, I tested it on a remote server of my own just for the fun of it and haven't used it since then.

Now, incase you're wondering why I am going on and on about Hawk and his hacking in a topic that's supposed to be about the Olympics and the solution to them, it was part of a threat I made to him if he didn't hand over the events. I do assure you all that this threat was made after an hour of discussing the events with Hawk, most of which was friendly talking with him, trying to solve this in a calm manner and without upsetting him. However, 45 minutes or so into the conversation, Hawk begin swearing (at me and not just Brad and RCT*Mart) and completely refused to hand over the Olympics, so it was then I moved to more aggressive actions and made this threat.

I would also like it to be known that I was not trying to regain control of the Olympics. I have even less time now than I did when I retired, as I'm sure you all can tell by my inactivity (another reason I'm going public and forcing the events from Hawk instead of waiting for him to cool down and take another friendly approach at it). I am taking care of this right now, this way, because these events are sort of my legacy to the community, something I had hoped would go on after I retired, and possibly check back in 2-3 years from now and still see going, and I wont have time later on in the year to take care of seeing the events are put into the hands of a responsible overseer of next year's events. There was indeed two people lined up to take the Olympics for next year, however, one works for Hawk and saw it as a conflict of interest to still run them, and the other was to help run, not run it soley. So, if you are interested in running next year's events, please e-mail me at webmaster@rctresource.com with your name, site name (if you have one), webspace the events would be hosted on, and stating that you have atleast $10 to buy a new domain name for the events. You would then be expected to put together a committee for next year and then oversee the events when the time came.

Going on further into this twisted story, with Brad and myself expecting Hawk not to turn over the events, we devised a plan B. The reason whoever next year's "overseer" is needs to have atleast $10 for a new domain name, is because Plan B is to buy a new domain name, and simply switch the events to that domain, hosted by a different site each year, and on that site's server, each year. We do this because Hawk was the one to buy the domain RCTOLYMPICS.COM, and we cannot manually move the domain to a new host. After the new domain was bought and the new site opened, you the public would be notified so that you could find the true Olympic Games Site, and continue on.

Another reason that pushed me to do all this was Hawk's constant reminding me that RCT Depot now covers The Sims, Zoo Tycoon, and one or two other games besides RCT, so he believes that the RCT Community turning against him wont hurt RCT Depot. Basically, he was just stating he didn't see a reason to give up the events and didn't plan on it.

I would also like to remind everyone it was Hawk who deleted all the e-mails from the account that held all the entries, not me. This action looks as if it was to sabotag (sp?) this year's events so Hawk could get a jump-start on planning RCT Depot's hosting of the events. It was also Hawk that flipped through the emails, and uploaded them for the judges, so if your entry didn't make it to judging, it was Hawk's fault, not mine. Hawk was the one who made changes to the perfectly fine Olympics website, and who swapped the forum skin atleast 3 times instead of helping Brad and myself try to get the Judge's opinions on all the entries recovered from RCT Resource's hacked forums. (It was also Hawk who pushed for me to just forget last year's events and not to try and recover the judge's opinions. Sounds like he didn't want me snooping around to see if he had left any trail of where he had possibly hacked RCT Resource.) It was Hawk that constantly changed the link to the Olympic Forums on the Official Website, from the forums everyone had been directed to go to, to the ones he had made, hosted by him.

I hope everyone see's why I am doing this. I want my idea, that could be a great one if run by the proper people, to live on, and it just can't do that if run by Hawk. This is the true side of the story, this is Hawk behind the mask. A hacker, a sabotager (sp?), a crook, a thief. A man that has no respect for anyone but himself.

Please, if you are interested in keeping this event going, e-mail me at webmaster@rctresource.com.

-OJ

*As a sidenote, a majority of 6 votes were cast in favor or me being granted temporarily my "overseer" rights again. This is just a temporary thing, but I thought the public should know we did go through proper etiquette before doing all of this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MidwestBoyInLA
post Apr 8 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #2

RCT*Mart Credit Card Holder
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Founder
Member No.: 3

Well, thanks for your openness and honesty, OJ. That would explain why we were having problems in January... problems that led me to change hosting companies, which now it seems may have been unnecessary. And this would coincide with the story I got from Devious as to being asked by Hawk and SoSweet to hack us in January.

As I've said to OJ in our brief conversations recently, I think the Olympic idea needs some time to cool off. Right now it's a big pile of stink that no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole. Clearly Hawk isn't relinquishing his hold on the domain, and that's fine. No one ever really expected he would. He's welcome to play with his toys in his sandbox all by himself. Given how he's behaving (having also blocked/banned RCT2.com's Olympic representative), I doubt he'll be able to do much on his own anyway.

I have no problem with the two people who OJ mentioned organizing an event. While one works for the Depot, he seems to be neutral enough to handle himself professionally. Plus I have great respect for his organizational skills and he's well liked and respected for his work in RCT.

I too would like to see an inter-site competition get off the ground, but it's going to need a lot of planning and time, neither of which I can contribute. If there is to be another competition, however, someone else will have to spearhead it. I simply don't have the time, energy or desire to be involved in the organizational level myself. And as I said before, RCT*Mart will boycott any events hosted or controlled by Hawk or RCT Depot.

Them's just the facts, folks.

I think OJ's post further justifies why I've taken that position.
+Quote Post
MidwestBoyInLA
post Apr 8 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart Founder
Member No.: 3

Also, as a note to our more, shall I say, 'die-hard' members, do not take it upon yourselves to defend us agaisnt these kind of actions or threats nor do I want anyone to try to enact any retribution upon the other site. I am leaving this open to the public so they may see the case against the guilty parties (who have not been banned here and are free to defend themselves against the accusations), however I feel it's best to let the court of public opinion decide their fate.

So again... do NOT go to the Depot and engage in any negative behavior. I trust you guys to maintain civility and to handle this in a professional manner.

Besides... I like to think we can operate at a higher standard than the one they have been engaging in, and causing trouble on their site only lowers you to their level.
+Quote Post
Lucas
post Apr 8 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Window Shopper

Group: Window Shopper
Member No.: 1,455

Can't belive on this :o

Hawk ..
+Quote Post
Wagi
post Apr 8 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 11

Interesting to note that once again Hawk accuses MidwestBoyInLA (Brad) again of 'turning' someone against him. Out of the several dozen former Depot staff members I'm aware of I've heard the same claim being made over and over...even when some of them left BEFORE Brad was at the Depot. How is it that everyone of them was wrong and Hawk was right? I don't think so.

I also read with a great deal of interest a post made at the 'new' Olympics site by Hawk when I posted questioning some of the moves he had made with the site, move's that were never approved by the Olympic Committee, including wholesale changing of the charter and rules allowing the Depot to host the next event.

In his responce to me I believe his words were something to the effect that I 'shut my mouth' and 'go back to the rock I crawled out from under...' and he accused me of being Brad's "lackey" in daring to question Ray's actions..

Let me assure you that I am no one's lackey...evidenced by the mere fact that I left the Depot site a long time ago. As a member of the community which Hawk claims to 'serve', I have every right to question his actions, and I reserve those rights since I have also been named as an official representive to the committee.

I will not address the allegations made above, however I will say it is not the first time I have heard of similar things. It is a sad reflection on the hard work and dedication of those people who have worked hard on the Depot that the site owner has so little respect for their efforts.
+Quote Post
ObsceneJester
post Apr 8 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Regular Shopper

Member No.: 582

Well, after being unblocked and having a very, umm, futile and aggressive convo with Hawk, he is deleting the site from his server, cancelling the domain, and is allowing us to begin rebuilding. He isn't complying, just simply making it to where if he can't have it, niether can we, so we will still need to buy a new one.

However, please all look in your local newspaper daily for the headline "Pastor Sues 15 Year Old for Slander". Apparently Hawk is off filling a lawsuit against me for slander, not realizing it isn't slander when it's the truth. I hope you all share my humor in this.

Also, please keep a lookout for any of RCT Resource's content on RCT Depot. The actualy deal was he buy me a domain for my web design company (incawebsolutions.com) but is now cancelling it. The way I see it, he cancels the payment, he doesn't recieve the goods, so please, just keep a lookout for Resource's content on Depot, as it doesn't belong there.

Also, according to Hawk before I was re-blocked by him, the RCTOlympics domain can be re-bought from Hawk at the price he names. If anyone is rich enough to pay off the self-esteem taken away from Hawk, please do. However, before doing so, be prepared the prices are in the millions. Quite funny how adults can act like kids on a playground playing finders keepers isn't it.

As a final note, please all take note to my new quote I have created...

"The reason some men never are married is quite simple.  There are extremely few women with the mentality of a 4 year old, and no 4 year olds without a mentality.

-OJ

Hope someone gets it ;)

EDIT: Funny how I can get accused of acting childish when...
-I use proper grammar and properly use the period.
-I don't swear with those famous 4 letter words.
-I don't threaten to sue someone less than half my age over something I can't sue for.
-I use proper etiquette of actually having the committee vote on things before I take actions.
+Quote Post
Hawk
post Apr 8 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Window Shopper

Group: Window Shopper
Member No.: 1,674

Just to publically announce that the domain name RCTOLYMPICS.COM has been cancled, and I no longer own this domain. the reasons are because I have been threatned, my staff has been harrased & threatned Enough. and bugged and abused.

I will not deal with the children of this community. who demand things to be done their way, and only their way. I want nothing to do with the olympics anymore, and I request that no one contact me on anything in reguards to the olympics, or any other rct matter from this day forward.

I will still keep in touch with my friends on this site and a few others. but I have had it with the childish ways the community has taken of late.

With respect to all
Hawk

PS: I request this topic be closed
+Quote Post
mikecoolguy
post Apr 8 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #8

Moron from the unknown
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart 5-Star Member
Member No.: 22

If this post offends, please delete, or edit.

I would just like to remind everybody of all the people Hawk has harassed, threatened, and abused. He has threatened to sew more than OJ. I have contacted many staff members and not heard a single thing about people threatening them. Their names will not be mentioned, so no need to ask.

I am glad the truth has finally been relealed.

Mike B)

P.S. Please keep this topic open. People deserve to express their opinions.
+Quote Post
Doc
post Apr 8 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Lurker

Member No.: 135

QUOTE(Hawk @ Apr 9 2005, 01:05 AM)
I request that no one contact me on anything in reguards to the olympics, or any other rct matter from this day forward.

PS: I request this topic be closed

You are the owner of what you claim is the best "RCT SuperSite" in the world, yet you specifically request not to be contacted about any RCT matter? Please take a moment to share with me your philosophy some time - I think it would make for an interesting discussion! :P

Also, it's interesting that you want this topic closed. You haven't responded to serious allegations made about you, and in any case you are not the topic starter. There appears to be more room for debate I'd say...
+Quote Post
mikecoolguy
post Apr 8 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #10

Moron from the unknown
Group Icon

Group: RCT*Mart 5-Star Member
Member No.: 22

I agree Doc.

Miek B)
+Quote Post

8 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2005 - 02:45 AM

This site © 2004-2005 RCTmart Associates
No part of this site may be reproduced without the express written permission of the copyright holder(s)
RollerCoaster Tycoon is Copyright © 1999 - 2003 Atari and Chris Sawyer
Skin & buttons by MidwestBoyInLA

Support RCT*Mart TODAY!
Make a donation (in any amount) via PayPal's secure on-line payment center.