Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RCT2db Down
RCT*Mart Forums > Customer Service > Partner Promos
Pages: 1, 2
MidwestBoyInLA
Just a heads up that RCT2db.com is down. Apparently their host site (RCT Depot) suffered a hack that hit their servers.

I haven't heard an ETA yet on when they'll be back up.
Nforce
I know that Hawk has been trying to get the site back up for several days now.

Some hacked RCT Depot over the weekend [26th]. Hawk was able to get the site back up for a short while on Monday, but since then the server has been acting up because of the hack.

As for an ETA, it's anyone's guess since the server is involved in this issue as well.
ekimmel
The RCT Architects database is also down.

If anything changes today I'll post an update here.
ride_exchanger
QUOTE(ekimmel @ Dec 30 2004, 09:34 AM)
The RCT Architects database is also down.

If anything changes today I'll post an update here.

Aww shucks, no downloads! santanana.gif
Rohn Starr
Just so all of you know, Hawk posted this at RCT Compo earlier today:

Update,

Hello All,

Ok what we are doing is waiting on a new server, aparently the one we had when attacked was really messed up, so hoipefully by this weekend we can have things working again and start to rebuild the Depot to the way it was before the crash.

this is not a attempt to draw sympathy as some woud say, not to draw pitty to us, this was a massive attack to my server and about 20,000 other servers world wide. happens everytime, kids get a fit of wanting to do stupid things. so that is what it was, nothig less, nothing more.

so till I can get the new server, and set iut up and running then we will start to do the rebuild. I have a wonderful staff that will not let me down, and care about the depot, and want it to be as it was.

We still have all the downloads, we didnt loose anything there, some of the board posts yes we did, but other than that, we will be back to normal soon. I will keep posting here with updates, and also other places as well, so everyone will know what is hapening and when we will be online again.

thank you
Respectfully
Hawk - Depot Owner

If I see or hear anything further, I'll try to keep you updated....
TheVelvetFoxx
Thanks Rohn, for the update. Geez, don't people have anything better to do?
MidwestBoyInLA
Thanks, Rohn!
ktysmi
Thanks. I hope they get it fixed soon.

I saw the site while the hack was stealing the screen, but only for a second and then it went down.
Freak
We're working on it guys! We hope to have the servers back this weekend, and from there, we'll be rebuilding as quickly as possible!

Hackers are pathetic.
Nforce
Another update regarding RCT Depot and the other sites hosted by their server [from RCT2.com]
UPDATE,

Ok The depot will and should be back to full operation around Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

I had to replace the present server because of exrtreem problems with the server itself, this time it will be a gaming server, with tons of power and security. and when we open again we wil come back strong.

All the staff , and including hundreds of members have volluenteered to help with the rebuild. so it should not take long, just getting all the files back to the site again.

thanks for the paitents and forthcoming help

God Bless
Hawk
MidwestBoyInLA
Do you guys have any information on the hack that occured? I'd love to get any information on who/what/how just to make sure that we're not vulnerable here at RCT*Mart.
Mokie
Thanks for posting this here, Rohn. I didn't even realize that I don't have Ray's of Denny's eddress, I feel totally lost not knowing what's happening to de Depot.
Thanks for the update, I feel connected now.

Mokie
Dandello
Hopefully it will be back up tomorrow....cross your fingers.
ekimmel
It probably will not be tomorrow (Tuesday). Last I heard from Hawk it will be Wednesday.
skyvanman
They sent an email out to all people who have UCF's (I dont have one but I got the email anyways) and it pretty much says that it should be back up no later than Thrusday if I remember right.
Xman
I am not sure the exact details but my server was hit on Xmas with a nasty hack. From the sounds of it RCTDepot suffered from the same one that hit the sertver I am on. The host had to do some major repairs to the server which took a few days. All I can say for sure is that they got in through a testing area on my site and that it came from somewhere in South America. I would advise that you make daily backups of your DB just incase. I know that is a lot but better safe than sorry. I was fairly lucky and had been working on things just a few hours before this hack so I had a very fresh backup of my site and once I did some DB cleaning I was able to get it back up.
skyvanman
Yeah it likely came from Brazil from the figures I got from Ethan Zuckerman (Harvard Professor) about half of the hacks originate from there.
riven3d
QUOTE(Xman @ Jan 3 2005, 08:45 PM)
I am not sure the exact details but my server was hit on Xmas with a nasty hack. From the sounds of it RCTDepot suffered from the same one that hit the sertver I am on. The host had to do some major repairs to the server which took a few days. All I can say for sure is that they got in through a testing area on my site and that it came from somewhere in South America. I would advise that you make daily backups of your DB just incase. I know that is a lot but better safe than sorry. I was fairly lucky and had been working on things just a few hours before this hack so I had a very fresh backup of my site and once I did some DB cleaning I was able to get it back up.

yes it was the same group, daily backups will not due, the depot was backed up daily but only kept online backups they even hit them the old server was wrecked, could not be rebuilt so we were forced to look for a new server and start new, once the depot comes back everyone will have to resign back up with a new acct.
ktysmi
Hackers stink.

Sorry about all the trouble. Signing back on is no big deal, but I hope that that huge data bases for the rides and objects and forums were saved.
riven3d
QUOTE(ktysmi @ Jan 4 2005, 05:19 AM)
Hackers stink.

Sorry about all the trouble. Signing back on is no big deal, but I hope that that huge data bases for the rides and objects and forums were saved.

everything on the database was lost but most of the designers have their own work and some of us have the rest but its a matter of sorting every single download then adding it.
Dandello
OK...I got some bad info then on what day it would be done. I haven't been home much lately so lost track on the status. I think all those hackers should be tortured!
TheVelvetFoxx
What a complete pain! Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I have to agree with Dandello. I think all hackers should be tortured.
MidwestBoyInLA
yes it was the same group, daily backups will not due, the depot was backed up daily but only kept online backups they even hit them the old server was wrecked, could not be rebuilt so we were forced to look for a new server and start new, once the depot comes back everyone will have to resign back up with a new acct.

I think the suggestion was to do regular backups and save them OFFLINE. At least that's what I'd recommend and have done that for the site here. That way if the server is lost somehow you have a local version of the database you can always upload to the new server.

It's very easy to do with IPB.
Josho
I think the suggestion was to do regular backups and save them OFFLINE.

That's basically a critical rule with back ups. Never store them in the same location... Of course, the Depot being the size it is, I guess it would not have been too easy to actually store backups offline. Live and learn banana-blink.gif

Anyway, its worth remembering IP spoofing which means the hack may not have originated from South America. Just a though banana-confused.gif

But oh well, hackers in some way will get caught. There always is a trail they leave behind - or I at least like to think that.

Good luck to the Depot getting back online
Rohn Starr
If I remember correctly, Hawk said that he made offline backups. I know that he made regular backups on the server itself, just not sure that all those were kept offline too.

I have no idea how much may have been lost, but I don't think that it would go back much farther than the end of November.
ekimmel
The new server is up but the forums are still offline. They will be opened sometime this weekend. You can go to http://www.rctdepot.com to get the latest updates.

I'm not sure when RCT2DB or the RCT Architects database will be back online.
riven3d
rct2db is up also but you can not access the database at this time.
MidwestBoyInLA
Very odd... I keep getting error messages that "www.rct2db.com cannot be found" in the browser.

banana-angry.gif
RCT Guru
Yeah. . . I get the same message. banana-frown.gif
MidwestBoyInLA
They must still be working on the servers. I was able to get to the Depot's front page but nothing at RCT2db.com.

For those who can't get to it, the Depot has this message on their front page:

Hello,

We have a few more tweaks to do to the Depot, and to also finish setting up the  server. then the RCT Depot will be back to full operation.  Right now we are looking at a grand re opening on this weekend sometime.  So be patient,  and thing will be back to normal again.  Despite those who wish for the Depot to not come back.  we say Phooey to you who feel that way.

So give us a little time, and thoughtfulness,  and it will be back better than ever.  for now,  the best place to get updates is here and RCT Resource, and RCT2.com.  if its not here or at those 2 other wonderful sites, and not authorized by my Immediate staff, who is keeping tabs with me,  then,  its a Bold faced Lie.

Thanks Again,
RCT Depot Team

(text in bold is in that funky flashing text on their site)

Out of curiousity... who has been saying they don't want the Depot to come back?

Phooey on them indeed!
banana-pbbbt.gif
ride_exchanger
You got further than me, MWBINLA, I couldn't get either to load just now. Good to know their making progress bananarock.gif bananarock.gif bananarock.gif
Nforce
Well, it certainly wasn't me. If anyone can tell me who is saying that they don't want the Depot back, please let me know. I'd like to discuss that issue with them.
ekimmel
I haven't seen a negative word from anyone in this whole mess. Everyone has been very supportive.

banana-confused.gif
riven3d
depending on where you live depends on what you can access it takes 24-48 hours for a site to filter around the world so some of us can see rct2db and some cant same with the depot.
riven3d
here is what is posted on rct2db for those who cant see it yet

January 6th, 2005

We are in the process of cleaning up the database, and re fixing the databases itself. so this down time will be a great help for that. you can not search as of yet till we get all the data together. but we will have it soon for you with a new update here. and we and the depot will keep working hard together to keep you informed -Eskimo
ktysmi
Glad to see both resources will soon be back. It would be a shame to lose either one.

I think every site I have broused through is upset that hackers could destroy so much hard work.

Even though much of it is saved--its tons of work and money to get it fixed.

Down with hackers.
MidwestBoyInLA
I posted this at RCT2.com and want to add it to the discussion here.

Well, RCT*Mart seems to be back online right now, however the servers have been up and down and some delays are expected in the immediate future.

That said... I'm going to go out on a limb here, and RCT2.com mods and admins are more than welcome to edit or chastise me if they feel the need to, but I and my staff at RCT*Mart have been dealing with a lot of rumors over the past few days and weeks and I'm really starting to get getting fed up with them and they need to stop.

Rumor #1: That I and my staff are telling people not to return to the RCT Depot once their site and servers are back up.

Truth #1: Neither I nor my staff have EVER, since my departure from the Depot months ago, told people not to go there. We have made every effort to avoid this line of discussion even when others come to us to ask our opinions. During the recent downtime at the Depot, due to their hack around Christmas, we have had updates on the Depot's status and posts at RCT*Mart (including several by Depot staff) where the support and feedback has been very positive, with everyone hoping the Depot is back up soon. So I have no idea how people can possibly be under the impression that I or my staff have been saying I hope the Depot doesn't return.

Yet the rumors continue to fly around that I am bad-mouthing the Depot, that I am bad-mouting the Depot Designers, and none of that is true.

Rumor #2: That I am blaming Ray/Hawk for RCT*Mart's recent server downtime.

Truth #2: Anyone who's actually READ our notices (here and at RCT*Mart) would notice that we indicated our down time is due to our hosts servers being down. Never have we implied anything else. We've been having problems with slow server response for a long time, actually, and anyone who's been to RCT*Mart would know this as well.

I'm sorry if I sound a little irritated, but we've been putting up with this for months now, in various forms, and we're always being advised to just hold our tongues. Any time something happens over at the Depot I and my staff get dragged into the rumor mill and it's just wearing really thin.

So before you come to us asking if the rumors are true, please take a moment to think about it, especially those of you who know us on a more personal level, then please do your part to put the rumor mill to rest. Only when people stop fanning the flames will those starting the rumors lose their power to continue causing problems.

Now... back to work... I've got a lot to do and can't be bothered with this stuff anymore.
Freak
My post over at RCT2.com in the RCT Depot thread:

I also would like to address the comment made by MidwestboyinLA in his other thread in support.

RCT*Mart hasn't been badmouthing us at all, and if anything, have been quite helpful with their update thread on their forums.  We were not responsible for their downtime either.

I too, find it quite annoying that anytime something happens with either site, the other is blamed.  This is being done by visitors not actually familiar with either site, but want to be involved in a FUN CONTROVERSY THAT DOESN'T EXIST!  Please quit the rumors guys.  RCT*Mart and RCT Depot are not against each other and have pretty good relations.

In other news, we're still on track to opening tomorrow night (Sunday night), and we hope to see each and everyone of you guys there!
TheVelvetFoxx
Bravo MWBILA and Freak.

I was taken aback by this posted of the Depot front page:

Hello,
We have a few more tweaks to do to the Depot, and to also finish setting up the  server. then the RCT Depot will be back to full operation.  Right now we are looking at a grand re opening on this weekend sometime.  So be patient,  and thing will be back to normal again.  Despite those who wish for the Depot to not come back.  we say Phooey to you who feel that way.

So give us a little time, and thoughtfulness,  and it will be back better than ever.  for now,  the best place to get updates is here and RCT Resource, and RCT2.com.  if its not here or at those 2 other wonderful sites, and not authorized by my Immediate staff, who is keeping tabs with me,  then,  its a Bold faced Lie.

Thanks Again,
RCT Depot Team

Why can't people just get over it? <sigh>
ekimmel
Ok, so the Depot isn't quite up yet.

However, the RCT Architects download database has been completely rebuilt so if you missed any of our releases (including Club Park I - Xmas Village) before the Depot went down you can get them now.

http://www.rctdepot.com/rcta/pafiledb.php

Finally, look for an announcement soon about a new RCT Architects website.
riven3d
This is untrue Rct Depot is not up yet you can view the website in its offline version, but that is all we have not at this time opened the Depot up. We are looking at sometime Late tonite.
ktysmi
I just found that out. Could get to the database link for the arche people, but not the the forums.

Still it is good to see the progress you are making.

Sad you had to spend so many hours rebuilding, but good that you cared enough to do it.
ekimmel
LOL...Ok this time it's for real. Depot is open.

banana-wink.gif
rct2nut
Glad you all got things working again. Good luck with everything.
Freak
Thanks! We're slowly getting files back, and the new website should be launched onto the internet within the next month or so!
ride_exchanger
i'm still having trouble accessing the site? am i doing soemthing wrong?
Nforce
Which link are you asking about. The RCTA part of the site is still down, and I'm sure that there are other parts of the site that are still being worked on.
ekimmel
All RCTA parts of the site are up and functional including the database.

The old links posted here at the Mart will not work but you can go to the new database and download all the releases.

RCT Architects Database

You can get to our forums by clicking the RCTA link in my signature.
rct2nut
We have heard from Eskimo. The RCT2db is now up and running. It can be located at http://rct2db.com
Eskimo
Thanks everybody for all the support and keeping a positive outlook. Sorry it took so long but it was worth the wait and we are back!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2007 Invision Power Services, Inc.