Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RCT2/Sims/Zoo Tycoon
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
TheVelvetFoxx
I'm kinda wondering why I don't see many folks modifying the objects for one of these games for use with the other two. I have seen some but not many. Is is a copyright boo-boo or are there just not that many people familiar enough with all three games to swap stuff out?

I'm asking because I bought (gasp!) Zoo Tycoon, the Complete Collection. Many of the buildings would look so cool in RCT. Just the thought has me drooling in front of the editor. Call it itchy graphics finger, but there is a lot of cool scenery that could be adapted from Zoo Tycoon as well as The Sims.
Rohn Starr
There are a lot of people that have done just that. If you look at some of osudenny's stuff at the Depot, he's done that. The only thing I do suggest is that you give credit to either the creator of the object from the other game or to the game company itself.

And I wrote without seeing Wagi's reply, so I may be repeating what he's said.
Wagi
I agree Velvet, many of the objects are very cool!

However, I've also seen some that were converted to use in RCT, and the results were pretty disappointing. I keep hoping some talented person will take the time to actually convert some of these objects - matching colors and scale and making all four views line up correctly - instead of just copying the art work and slapping it in the object editor.

There's other games that can be a source of great objects if someone would take the time to make sure the doors aren't fourteen feet high or there's only two views... banana-dazed.gif

From what I've seen, people who properly credit the original artwork done by other's, even if for another games, have no problems, witness the fact that many rct items, including some by MidwestBoyInLA, have been converted to work in Zoo Tycoon. However, I've also seen some designer's not bother to give credit at all, and that is just plain wrong.

I hope this is something you are considering doing...I know you've got the talent and attention to detail that would make many of us actually want to download these!

And Rohn...you beat me too it!
Rohn Starr
Nah, mine was just shorter.

I do have to echo what you said, if you do use graphics from another game, whether created by a fan or included in the game, please make sure that you give full credit where it is due.
skyvanman
There are also some good thigns from Age of Empires. I have seen some of those objects converted but the problem is no one gave credit.
TheVelvetFoxx
banana-lol.gif Wagi, Rohn, you two are making me blush!

Giving credit is not a problem. That is something a respectable digital artist will do anyway. It's just a given in the digital art world. Nothing gets you run out of cyberspace on a rail quicker than forgetting to give someone credit for their hard work.

I am seriously thinking about do just that - converting many of the objects from both The Sims and Zoo Tycoon. Skyvanman, I have both all the Age of Empires games so it would just be a matter of taking screenshots. A while back someone asked for some demon-inspired stuff so I was thinking of taking a crack at converting some of the Diablo I and II objects as well. I have all those games and expansions as well as Baulder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Nox and some others. Geez, I have a lot of games that this concept would work with. No wonder I don't have a life! banana-lol.gif

<chuckles and mutters to self> I have ideas! Ideas! <wonders off to find all her game CDs>
yellowrose
OH MY....lol....lol..you should see my game collections..it sounds just like yours Velvet with a few more to boot. I fully intend on converting all my objects I made fror zoo to RCT when I get to know Dr J's editor a little better as well as some form all the games I have. I have the sims as well with all the expansions so some of that will get done along with new stuff from Battle for Middle Earth and Felloship of the Ring and any other of the games I get extract stuff from....I usuall give credit to other designers but have never thought about the game companies until you just mentioned it.A big oversight on my part that will soon be corrected. I have just installed a 160 gig hard drive along with leaving in my 40 gig drive so now have plenty of room for design stuff for all the games....and my downloads as well being the junkie I am for them....lol..Look forward to keeping in touch with you Velvet so we dont duplicate each other and can keep a good flow of goodies for everyone to enjoy.

Wendy
TheVelvetFoxx
Oh Goodie! Sounds like a plan Wendy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.