Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RCT3
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
Wagi
I looked forward to my return to Brazil because it meant that I could also try rct3 but I'm finding that it's just not working on my computer. While I could open the game and explore things a few things, even attempting some structure designs, when I downloaded SixFrag's Vacation Park from rct2.com, I found that the only way I could even view it was to use the options to turn down everything to minimum setting so I ended up with nothing but ugly splotches of color and blocks representing structures and even then it stuttered and crawled and wasn't even watchable. The same thing with the scenarios...

This computer is only a year old (a Dell running Pentium 4 CPU 2.80Ghz, 512 MB of RAM, XP Pro, lot's of free space, with Inno3D GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X), and I thought I certainly met the minimum requirments needed to run the game. Because the game itself was bought in Brazil just after the first of the year it tells me that no updates are needed when I checked.

But this is horrible! I just can not believe after all this and paying a premium price for it too that I can't even veiw someone else's park...let alone trying to build my own!

Any hints or suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? I just am totally blow away by how disappointing this is...
RCTNW
Wagi, I feel for you my friend. The big difference for me was that once I saw the demo, I knew it would not work for me on my PC and it's not nearly as good as yours and I refuse to buy a new computer just to play it. Do I enjoy the movies and wish I could play it, sorta. All I can say is I understand where you are coming from (I can't believe I said that).

James
Rohn Starr
Part of your problem is your video card. Frontier optimized the graphics to work best with an ATI-based graphics card. I too have an MX 440 chip, but it's on my mother board. I've been lucky though, I don't have a real problem with a lot of the graphics, but then I don't really do much in any of the park zones yet. Until they up the number of available themes, I don't really see the need to do anything in there.
Wagi
Thanks guys! Sambo told me the same thing. I guess I assumed since I could play things like SimCity4 without a hitch that I'd probably be okay with rct3, but obviously I can only veiw the simplest parks.

I'm sure someday I'll need to upgrade my computer and then I'll have no problems enjoying the game, but for now this one's going to go back on the shelf.

I was even more disappointed because I thought the new things coming in SOAKED! looked fantastic...but if I can't even enjoy the basic game... banana-angry.gif
ktysmi
Wagi, that is about what I have and it runs OK. I have a HP and it is a 3.2 but the rest sounds about right. 160 hard drive and much of it free.

I have no idea what videa thing i have but one of the system things is for Raedon and that might be a video card.

I just know it works.
rlindsey
The video card is usually the culpert. They keep making the games use more and better graphics and if you don't have a good graphics card you won't be able to play them. Also make sure your DirectX drivers are up to date, I think RCT3D needs 9.0b (not exactly sure could be higher.) You can go to the DirectX website and download the latest drivers.
FunkMaestro
My computer is not half as good as yours, and i also have a nVidia graphics chip, but i can still run the game at a reasonable pace.
ride_exchanger
What I dont get is that all the First Person Shooter games with high end graphics play great on my laptop but RCT3 wont? The RCT franchise went from a game you could be sure would work on even the older machines to the most problematic (graphically speaking) game out on the market. Which would explain the drop off in popularity.
Leonardofury
I'm doing ok at the moment but my park isn't that big yet. I've had parks with major lag though on my machine.

AMD 2800+ Athelon
512Mb DDR RAM
Geforce FX5600 128Mb
Running XP Pro
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.