Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you 'addicted' to RCT?
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
rct625
I couldn't live without it laugh.gif
rct2obsessed
Well, does being OBSESSED count?

I am so hooked on it that my hubby had to buy me a new computer when 2 came out since it wouldnt work on the dinosaur. I thought my life was over. Yikes_anim.gif
hiro
I always play it nonstop! biggrin.gif
RCT2head
how can you have this game and not be addicted, obsessed, or otherwise? OLA.gif box.gif alc.gif carrot.gif apple.gif banana.gif
Wagi
When moving files from the old computer to the new one...guess which were moved first? wink.gif

When someone else uses the computer I stand there to make sure they don't scratch my disc. mellow.gif

I'm not obsessed, I could quit anytime! It's all those other people with the addiction, not me. blink.gif

Now get the heck out of my way...I've got a park calling my name! wacko.gif
Mousing
RCT was my very first computer game. Then after I had done all the scenerios there...I tried other games...one called CAESAR and another called PHAROAH. They were just ok and I sold them on Ebay. I then got AGE OF EMPIRES plus the expansion and found that as dull as the last two...all that war and killing was just not my scene.
I tried Sim Theme Park...it was just so primative compared to RCT...and just tried to play it a couple of times. Tried Sim City...zzzzzzzzzz
TYCOONs were the way to go...
RAILROAD TYCOON - mega dull
SKI RESORT TYCOON - even worse than RAILROAD TYCOON

So after a LOT of money lost on sampling other games...I finally realised that RCT is the COOLEST game. Then we had RCT2 + expansions (which I love). Then when you are able tp add your own objects and have the websites and the downloads and the challenges and making all these new buddies all with the same interests.

I wonder if there is a support group for people coming off RCT ? grouphug.gif

I would also like to give a special thanks to the people that run the websites. Without their dedication, we would not be able to be posting and making new buddies
Neeltje
HEAR, HEAR, Mousing has spoken. wink.gif no just kidding Mousing, you took the words right out of my mouth, only I can't express it the way you do.
I have kind of the same experience as you Mousing, RCT was my first computer game and my son did a lot to teach me. And maybe it's my age (about the same as yours Mousing) but I can't learn those other games as well. Though I like the concept of Ceasar, I can't beat the more difficult levels, in Zoo tycoon I constantly have money troubles and those peeps are really beasts PPPPP.jpg throwing garbage everywhere. The sims look too much like real life, and indeed I don't like the war and fighting games.
But I see my sons playing dozens of different games, from Harry Potter to AoW and so on, and they learn them like it's a piece of cake.
But indeed, the possibility to talk about the game and see other people's work for me is more than half of the fun, and surely has stimulated me a lot to improve my skills.
Leonardofury
Would 'play everyday' count as addicted? I blame mousing's competion deadlines really wink.gif . Still I like this game a lot, it does rank as one of my favourite games of all time.
RCT2head
hey, mousing,
be lucky you tried Sim Theme Park after RCT...
that was my first computer game, and wouldn't work, because my dad didn't know he had to add RAM in there to make it work. lol
Mousing
Thanks for reminding me Neeltje
I did try ZOO TYCOON...but just tried to delete it from my memory.
I dont manage to do ANY of the scenarios in that...plus it did some nasty things to my computer
rct2obsessed
Zoo Tycoon: I prolly lasted the longest on that one. I do have all the expansions, but havent played it in AGES. Guess it just got old. Cant expand like RCT2!

Sim Theme Park: YUCK. Too hard to maneuver around, at least thats my take. And building coasters. comp_punches_smilie.gif LOL.

Ski Resort Tycoon: It was ok for a while.

I found a game a few months ago called Pirate Hunter. I got pretty addicted to it, then bought Patrician II which is kinda like it. I hated that one. I got a friend of mine hooked on Pirate Hunter, he has gone all the way to the top. I gave up!

But my heart will ALWAYS belong to RCT2!!!

bananalama.gif
ktysmi
Love it.

Like zoo tycoon also but not as much.
erhswimming
I knew I was addicted to RCT last summer. We had just moved to Florida and while we were waiting for our house to be built we lived in a little apartment with NO COMPUTER sad.gif and I practically went through withdrawals. Especially with going to DisneyWorld like every other day (we had to do something, there were six of us in a two bedroom apartment) I had so many ideas for RCT2 but was never able to put them to use. And I thought about the Sims some, but not nearly as much as RCT2. When we finally got into our new house I was so excited to hook up my computer and play RCT2, but sometimes it didn't work comp_punches_smilie.gif and sometimes it would take up to an hour to load but did I care? No. I kept on trying, taking out the CD and putting it back in til it would start and I would play a lot. Then just last June I found the Atari Forum. At first I was thinking (no offense to anyone), wow these people don't have much of lives to be talking about RCT2 online. But what happened? I joined and now I'm one of those big losers without a life! tongue.gif And now I'm a complete addict, I have completely given up the Sims and XBox and Gamecube and now the only game I really play is RCT2!
Spunknit
I gotta admit, when I first saw this, I thought it was a trick question. Of course I'm addicted!! Would I be here otherwise?!

Oh, sure there were other games before RCT, but they were just insignificant & meaningless. Then RCT came into my life. I actually stole it from my daughter. Will she ever forgive me? Does she really care anymore?

At first I thought it was just another passing fancy, but then, slowly things started to change. I would daydream about ride names. I mentally build coasters, counting piece by piece until I would fall asleep at night. I started spending more time with RCT than I did with my husband. I would be sneaking into bed well after he was asleep & the lights were out. He didn't suspect a thing...at first.

Then I began neglecting other things...dinner would be forgotten because of RCT. Why clean the house when there is RCT? I can't go to work today, I have to RCT. I don't care if we have guests, I have to RCT!

As you can see, it was getting well out of control. Something had to be done. My family put forth an effort to wean me from my addiction. Slow withdrawal was the key & gradually my addiction started to subside.

But then a terrible thing happened. RCT2 was announced. At first I hide my anticipation from my family. It worked too, until the day the new game was released. There I was, camped out at Circuit City, waiting for them to open, money in hand, shaking & twitching like a strung out junkie. I wasn't alone, either, there were a small crowd of others, just like me, staring at the manager, waiting for him to unlock the door.

Finally, he did, & the pack of us sprinted to the computer game section, pushing each other & fighting to get the first copy. It was horrible. But I succeeded in my quest as I ripped a copy from a quite hostile teenager by giving him the flying elbow. I ran home to install it.

Then it began all over again. The late nights, neglecting family & responsiblities, daydreaming of the game, nothing but the game. I decided to obtain more information about the game & started browsing RCT sites. To my surprise, I found others just like myself. Normal folks, young & old, male & female, addicted to RCT just like I was. I was not alone. They were out there, in the cyber world, with the same concerns & issues that I had. A sense of relief flooded over me. I would conquer this.

Since then, I have learned to control some of these issues. Instead of feeling guilty because dinner is not made, I tell them to order pizza! What a feeling of power! I've installed extra chairs next to the computer so they can visit with me while I play. We've hired a maid to clean the house. I even put rollers on my computer chair so she can just roll me out of the way when she needs to clean under the desk! Aren't I considerate?

All in all, things have been going well. However, I do fear the impending release of RCT3. But I've come this far with RCT & RCT2, I'm sure my family & I will be able to cope with RCT3.

My name is Spunknit, and I am an RCT addict. Thank you!
ktysmi
I also find it strange that there are people out there who don't even know about the game. I mention peeps or queue lines or even excitement ratings and look at me as if I am from another planet.

redman
I play the game every weekend if I am not gone out of town.
Mamatiger
I must admit I've only completed 2 RCT2 scenarios, Crazy Castle and Electric Fields. Then I discovered that people were making custom scenery. cool.gif I have more ideas for custom parks than I'll ever be able to build, and now I just have fun with it--it's more art than a game for me anymore.

I do, however, refuse to open the game unless I don't have to work the next day, for I know I'll be on until at least 4am tongue.gif
SythDude
Yeah, My story is similar.

I'm 16 and I started playing RCT1 when I got it from a friend when I was twelve. He didn't like it. I know, You're all thinking WHAT!? blink.gif

But I still play RCT whenever I'm on the computer. Which is like only 4 hours a day. (only lol) But while I wait for the computer, I play my gamecube, so I'm not faithful to it.

I still can't do good scenery in the game. I wish someone would show me or give me a hands on tutorial. I like watching and learning, not reading a stupid book.

I've improved Rick Gillette's Kings Island park that he had on coaster-net.com because he had it all wrong. How do I put it up on the site? It's Like 1MB so It's obviously too big. Help.

apple.gif
citytrader
I find it a great way to relax and obviously is pretty much non violent.

As a single dad with three kids, I am a little picky in what I let the kids play, and consequently, what I play.

We have RCT I and both expansions and RCT II and both expansions as well as Zoo Tycoon, (my daughter loves it) and I just broke down and bought my teenage son Warcraft III. Way too graphic, but "all my friends have it", so what can you do? I can't make him feel like a pariah.

My younger boy enjoys Age of Mythology the Titans.

I myself am a student of history, and I love to try and recreate the older parks.
Vidgms
Somehow, I just don't think that anyone will choose no to this poll.
MidwestBoyInLA

Sorry to burst your bubble, my friend. smile.gif

But I am NOT addicted to RCT.

Spunky is addicted... and hon, if you need an intervention, let me know. alc.gif

However... I AM addicted to building custom scenery. Like Mamatiger, I have only completed 1 scenario in RCT2 and all the expansions... and even then I needed to use a trainer. Well, not to complete the scenario, but to afford all the landscaping and terraforming I wanted to do.

Even with RCT1 I think I only completed a handfull of scenarios.

But ever since that first, fateful day when Doctor J unleashed his monter known as the Object Editor, I've been obsessed with making my own scenery.

"Yes, but that's a form of addiction to RCT" some may say. But I clearly don't see it that way (and some would say that's the addict talking), as I haven't opened the game to play in years - I only open the game now to test if my objects work properly.

Perhaps it's the part of me that's always wanted to design my own video game... but I totally love the experience of building something from scratch and importing it into the game and seeing if it works or not.

And I have to say I love hearing other people say they enjoy playing with my creations because I know that my efforts have enhanced other people's experience of playing RCT2. Someone once said that they were so excited by my Harry Potter stuff that it prompted them to pick the game up again after not playing it for months. Someone also recently said that about my pool stuff, and those people are my motivation for doing what I do.

That's why I continue to design, and why I seemingly can't put it away (my vacation after the HP release lasted 2 hours). I'm always trying to best myself and come up with something that no one's done (like the UCES backdrops), or that people have been asking for (like the TumbleBug), or some little addition to the game that will make people say "Oh, cool... lemme import this and go play with it!!"

So to all of you... thanks for letting me be a game designer, even if in my own little world. And thanks, also, for making this site such a success. When I opened the doors I just wanted to have a place to host my objects and a forum area for people to ask questions, post some of their screenshots of their works, and share in the fun.

You've all helped me reach that goal and soar beyond it in ways I never could have dreamed.

bananalama.gif
Spunknit
^
In denial about his RCT addiction! tongue.gif
bananalama.gif
Lord Excelsior
< Agrees with Spunk

And I am addicted to making coasters wink.gif
rct625
I'm at camp right now, and I'm suffering "withdrawals" too. I don't get to hang around on the forums that much either. So far I've lived without RCT for almost 2 weeks, and I have 1 more week to go. Hope I make it.
RNRMontuX
I voted "no".

I could live without it. It's just a game. I play it about twice a week though. smile.gif
SythDude
QUOTE (MidwestBoyInLA @ Jul 29 2004, 03:17 AM)

Sorry to burst your bubble, my friend. smile.gif

But I am NOT addicted to RCT.

Spunky is addicted... and hon, if you need an intervention, let me know. alc.gif

However... I AM addicted to building custom scenery. Like Mamatiger, I have only completed 1 scenario in RCT2 and all the expansions... and even then I needed to use a trainer. Well, not to complete the scenario, but to afford all the landscaping and terraforming I wanted to do.

Even with RCT1 I think I only completed a handfull of scenarios.

But ever since that first, fateful day when Doctor J unleashed his monter known as the Object Editor, I've been obsessed with making my own scenery.

"Yes, but that's a form of addiction to RCT" some may say. But I clearly don't see it that way (and some would say that's the addict talking), as I haven't opened the game to play in years - I only open the game now to test if my objects work properly.

Perhaps it's the part of me that's always wanted to design my own video game... but I totally love the experience of building something from scratch and importing it into the game and seeing if it works or not.

And I have to say I love hearing other people say they enjoy playing with my creations because I know that my efforts have enhanced other people's experience of playing RCT2. Someone once said that they were so excited by my Harry Potter stuff that it prompted them to pick the game up again after not playing it for months. Someone also recently said that about my pool stuff, and those people are my motivation for doing what I do.

That's why I continue to design, and why I seemingly can't put it away (my vacation after the HP release lasted 2 hours). I'm always trying to best myself and come up with something that no one's done (like the UCES backdrops), or that people have been asking for (like the TumbleBug), or some little addition to the game that will make people say "Oh, cool... lemme import this and go play with it!!"

So to all of you... thanks for letting me be a game designer, even if in my own little world. And thanks, also, for making this site such a success. When I opened the doors I just wanted to have a place to host my objects and a forum area for people to ask questions, post some of their screenshots of their works, and share in the fun.

You've all helped me reach that goal and soar beyond it in ways I never could have dreamed.

bananalama.gif

Tear*
ma flodder
I'm not the only one in this family who's addicted to RCT, all my 3 kids are banana.gif rolling on the floor.gif apple.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif
ziprescue
I have tried other games, Sim Theme Park, Sim City 3000 unl., Sim Farm, Sim Ant...
but with the abilities of the rct2, it's a world building and theme park game that has replaced all others on my computer.
Lindy
banana-wub.gif Very addicted and doing the 12 steps to recover.
Step 1 admit you are addicted.
Step 1 admit you are addicted.
pepper00.gif pickledance.gif bannana_guitar.gif bananarock.gif
TheVelvetFoxx
Like MWBILA I am addicted to making custom objects. There just aren't enough hours in a day for me to work on stuff. I always knew there were custom tracks and things like maze designs, but I never dreamed one could make their own scenery until I discovered RCT Depot a couple months ago. Two days after I found that site, I had downloaded just about everything I could get my hands on. The I found the Mart! Woooo.....whoooooo! This is the place for me and RCT2 is the game. Like the Sims I have way more fun make the scenery than playing with the scenarios. I do still play Diablo 2 once in a while - after all girls like a little hack and slash every now and again too. bananalama.gif pickledance.gif
Buckeye Becky
Am I addicted to RCT?

I used to be. I got the original game for my youngest son who I thought would be interested, but he wasn't. So then I started playing it and became addicted. Sometimes staying up all night to play the game...but I could never make a decent coaster so I recruited another son to do that for me. Then, he became addicted and I couldn't play anymore.... laugh.gif...until we got another computer...whew.

But I haven't done much lately and am just starting to get back into playing the game again. My coaster builder just went to college though so I guess I will have to learn how to do that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.