Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virgil is my name.
RCT*Mart Forums > Customer Service > The Greeter
Virgil
Hi everyone! Does anyone remember this old TV song? “Now its time to say goodbye to all our company… M-I-C (see ya real soon) K-E-Y… (Why? Because we like you) M-O-U-S-E!” That was part of the old theme song for the old Mickey Mouse Club. Most of you probably remember that or have heard it somewhere along the line. What probably no one will remember is the name Virgil as one of the famous Mouseketeers. But nevertheless, there was a Virgil Mouseketeer! I am that person… I am Virgil.

I've been a lurker in this community for quite a while now, and finally found a reason to post. As you could guess, I'm an old guy, and as a kid had the wonderful opportunity to be accepted as a Mouseketeers. Although it was my first big break in television, I was not one of the main characters. I appeared on the show a few times, and did some of the live shows presented in the Fantasyland Theater in Disneyland.

My work on the show ended, but I stayed in contact with the Disney folks and got hired on in Disneyland as a Cast Member. I had a wonderful career there, and now spend my time with RollerCoaster Tycoon. There is just something at the heart of RCT that seems to take me back to my Disney days and lets me create to some degree a virtual park that I still can roam and romp in and let my imagination go as wild as old Walt's did, even at MY age! Thanks everyone for all the help and great parks you have shared over the past couple of years.

Why I chose to come out of the shadows now, is because the mother of all theme parks - Disneyland - is having its Golden Anniversary. I couldn't let this opportunity pass by without my giving some acknowledgement to the “happiest place on earth.” I have contacted a number of people in the community and got them all thinking about how we should be celebrating 50 golden years of magic and magical memories. What better way to celebrate the anniversary of the “Mother” of all Amusement parks, than here in the RCT community?

I think some of them listened to this old Mouseketeer, and might be working on something special for the anniversary, as there are certain rumors going around the community about this. I know I have a few old photos I can share and many, many happy memories! I can't wait to see if they come up with anything... RCT and Disney, what a celebration that could be.

Virgil
RCTycoon14
...your a mouseketeer? WOW!!! That's amazing. I never watched the show... I did a few times on Nick @ Night when it was on... somewheres along the time Zorro came on. I never quite understood what was going on during both of the shows, but this is amazing to actually see someone coming to this site! (I bet rct2nut is happy!) Welcome to this site!
Viking16
Virgil you said you were in the mickey mouse club. Can I ask what year that was because I am not finding your name. Thanks biggrin.gif
skyvanman
Welcome to the rctmart_sign.gif Enjoy your shopping experience here and use the bananas liberally banana-chuck.gif banana3.gif
Ryan
Hello and welcome to the Mart! I hope you have a great time here! If you have any questions, just report to the service desk and ask away.
Spunknit
Welcome Virgil, to the RCT*Mart! We hope you have fun browsing the aisles for your favorite downloads! Its about time someone older than me got on this site!
rct2obsessed
banana-pompom.gif Cool! A real Mouseketeer! I grew up watching the MMC.

Welcome to RCT*Mart! (rolls out the red carpet)
Virgil
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing a LOT of Disney related stuff soon, right here on this site, I sure hope so! Over the years I never have lost my love for Disney related stuff even though I was not very popular as a Mouseketeer, I only acheived back up status (the B team as it was called then) it didn't really matter to me. Just being in the Disney Studios was a rare opportunity for me and working with the young Disney stars of that time was awesome, just being around them! Then as I went to play (some call it work, not me) each day at Disneyland where I worked many years for the park and in many different areas and duties, it only added to my Disney addiction, so when I heard rumors about Disney and RCT Mart... well, here I am!

Virgil

Wagi
Welcome Virgil!

"B" team , hih? Well, I know there were a quite a few kids that were on the show that were never credited, but I imagine that pales in comparison to having actually had the opprotunity to be involved with the show, so 'B' team - 'Shmee' team, I'm glad you're here and looking forward to hearing more!
Virgil
To be honest with you we were technically called the "C" team by the Disney Studio Execs. "C" string Mouseketeer was my official title and I was there from the years 1955 through 1957. Anyone other then the "A" team was always referred to as the "B" team amounst the Mouseketeers.

Let me explain the three levels of Mouseketeers. The Red Team was the top. Everyone knows the Red or "A" team Mouseketeers - Annette, Bobby, Karen, Cubby, Dorene, Lonnie, Darlene... Most could name a couple from the "B" string from memory, but it usually took seeing them perform on a show. There was Sharon, Tommy, Don, Cheryl, Johnnie, Eileen, Dennis...

No one remembers the "C" performers. We were usually found in the back row singing or tap dancing. Occasionally we were sitting behind the central performers during a story or when a crowd was needed. We usually got on one show per month, but you had to be quick to see a face or catch our names. We seldom saw our names in the credits. Honestly, few remember Nancy, Dickie, Judy, Dallas, Charlie, Paul, Margene, Mary, or me - Virgil - one of the "invisible Mouseketeers".

Do you remember? I didn't think so."

Virgil

ride_exchanger
well no matter what mouseketeer team you were on, we welcome you to this team! banana-smile.gif

BTW, dont let my "scary" avatar scare you! banana-lol.gif
Its just my Star wars fanaticism! banana-giddy.gif
ktysmi
I am so old...... How old am I you ask?

Well as a child growing up, Cubby and Karen were my favorites because they were only a little older than I was.

Wanted to be on the show or visit it. Never could.

So years later we were in Florida and at Disney MGM there was a sign up for MY KIDS to be in a taping of the new Mickey Mouse club. I instantly changed vacation plans, dropped them off early that morning and they had one of those experience of a lifetime days.

When the week they had watched taping aired, my son, was "invisible". Not once did he even get on camera although several shots just got his sister who was sitting right next to him.

The camera is strange. For the closing scene that new club would call the kids in the audience down to dance. You guessed it. Once again all you see is a limb or two just because he knew who he was next to or behind, but one of the "regulars" grabbed my daughters hand and she was dancing on national television in front of the entire group.

She actually had a "bad" experience with a haircut right before we left so the last thing she liked was months and even years later--with reruns, people would see her out front with "that" hair.
Hockeykid22
Wow! That's cool that you were a Mousketeer! And welcome to the site! We all hope you enjoy it here! smile.gif
Wagi
QUOTE(Spunknit @ Apr 24 2005, 09:41 AM)
Its about time someone older than me got on this site!

Why, did Moses just join? banana-confused.gif

I'm lovin' all this Mouseketter stuff, of course I'm much too young to remember any of the shows...
RcTtYcOoNiSt05
Im confused, who were the Mouseketeers?
sambo
Mickey Mouse Club...Hey Mouseketeers!

Welcome Virgil! I see you are making the rounds to the RCT sites.
MidwestBoyInLA
Yes, welcome Virgil. I have to say I'm impressed with your Disney history. Of course, I'm impressed with anyone born before 1972. smile.gif Greetings from a fellow former Cast Member! wink.gif

And welcome to the site. Do you play RCT much? We're a little more RCT focused here than Disney focused, but who knows... that could change. wink.gif
Fisherman
yes...we "pre-1972-ers" are quite impressive, aren't we? Ahem...
WELCOME Virgil!!! This is sooooo awesome! My whole life I've dreamed of working for Disney as an Imagineer or something! To meet a real live Mouseketeer...even over the internet...is AWESOME!!! I remember the Mickey Mouse Club...but I watched the color one in the late 70s. I had a huge crush on the girl with long blond hair...I can't remember her name though. Well...I hope you like your stay here at the Mart!

EDIT!!! I remember her name! It was KELLY! drooooool...

-Derek
ObsceneJester
Wow, that's like sooo cool that you were on a Disney television show and then worked for the park!

Very nice to meet you Virgil, hope to get to know you better!

All the Disney talk is very exciting too, can't wait to see how it plays out.
chadesofblur
Welcome to the Mart Virgil!
TopGun
Thats really cool, cant wait to see what you can do in Rct.
The Bag Lady
Welcome Virgil!

Ah, are you single?
Virgil
No, I am married with several grandkids, my how the time flies! My kids and grandkids call me Papa Santa because they all have always had free access to Disneyland anytime they want and to them something like that HAS to come from Santa Claus.

But if I wasn't married Bag Lady...

Virgil
MidwestBoyInLA
Oh, Edna... really!
citytrader
Welcome aboard, Virgil!

I think I remember seeing you...once...maybe...But I flipped back and forth to the ONE other station available, by actually getting up out the chair and manually turning the knob...Howdy Doody, wasn't it?

Now I have to go up to the attic and dig out my red shorts, suspenders and Mousketeer hat. Hope they still fit!

Boy, I really hate dating myself..............
Matt
Welcome Virgil! Fantastic to have you here!
The Bag Lady
QUOTE(MidwestBoyInLA @ Apr 26 2005, 01:57 AM)
Oh, Edna... really!

What??? I was just asking...ah...for Margo! Seriously Virgil, do you have any pics of when you were on TV? I'm a television personality myself as I'm sure you already know. I just LOVE hob-nobbing with fellow celebs! And I'd love to hear more about your career.
Virgil
No problem Bag Lady, not too many people ask about my career anymore so I’m always glad to share my story and recall fond memories back in the “good old days”. I was born in 1945 and am now 60 years old. I always loved Mickey Mouse as a kid and always wanted to be on the Mickey Mouse Club Show. I finally made it to the show, but never was featured... I was always the kid standing BEHIND Annette Funicello and Cubby. Although I eventually out grew the show, I never out grew my love of Disneyland, so right after finishing high school I got a job working at Disneyland and I just stayed, why leave my utopia? I started out as a ride operator, eventually became a janitor, then on to maintenance and finally ended up as a tour guide for the VIP’s that came to the park. I met the wonderful girl whom later became my wife in a queue line in the shadow of the Matterhorn Mountain! We now have children and grandchildren and just recently retired. Now days my hobbies include collecting Disney memorabilia, taking my grandkids to Disneyland, and sharing the magic with others.

user posted image user posted image
ride_exchanger
^ I hope I can live a life that fun! biggrin.gif
sambo
Sounds like the ideal life to me!
citytrader
Me too....(sigh)
MidwestBoyInLA
Hey Virgil... just wanted to make sure you check your PM box. Soon if possible. We've got a proposition for you. wink.gif
ObsceneJester
Wonders what this could be about.
Leonardofury
Don't know, an interview with Edna Mae perhaps?
MidwestBoyInLA
He'd better bring bug repellant if Edna Mae is involved. smile.gif
Leonardofury
LOL! So true. banana-lol.gif
eastbayboy
Hmmm... Disney Land 50th Aniversary, Virgil coming to the mart, magic in the air at RCT Mart?.... It's all starting to make sense....
Wagi
QUOTE(eastbayboy @ May 2 2005, 06:06 PM)
Hmmm... Disney Land 50th Aniversary, Virgil coming to the mart, magic in the air at RCT Mart?.... It's all starting to make sense....

banana-confused.gif It is?
Phix
eastbayboy, overpowering you the Force is. Work on your Jedi skills and a Jedi you will become.
eastbayboy
Ahh yes, the force is strong with me... lol

Speaking of the force, check out my partner promo section... oops! I'm advertising, oh well.

Glad to have you here Virgil.
sambo
Nice to have a discussion with you Virgil.

I look forward to hearing more of what you have to say about your Disneyland experiences...

banana-giddy.gif
MidwestBoyInLA
Sam... are you feeling giddy?

Somehow the thought of a grown man using that banana smilie makes me think that you're up to something.

So... Phix clearly has one of the first clues figured out. Has anyone else solved the first puzzle?

(wait for it)
banana-giddy.gif
Phix
What do you mean "one of the first clues"... I bet I know more than you think. wink.gif
yellowrose
Well Virgil I'm going to surprise you...banana-pbbbt.gif

There wasn't a MMC show that I missed to often and I remember you. I watched it every time it was on. Including all the storytime episodes and Spin & Marty had to be one of my favorite parts of the show. I am so glad you are here at the Mart and hope you enjoy all the fun things that go on here but just a word of warning....

Watch out for that crafty bear lurking around the place he can be very mischevious at times banana-impatient.gif There are a few others to be aware of as well but will let you discover them on your own like I did....rofl

This is a fun place with some great people so enjoy yourself and hope to see you here often.

Yellowrose
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.