Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Concern Within the RCT Community
RCT*Mart Forums > Customer Service > Partner Promos
Rohn Starr
I've noticed something within the RCT community lately that I find a little disturbing. What I'm being bothered by is the fact that some members of the community have been posting things for download that have been created by other members of the community, past and present.

I'm not talking about objects, parks or tracks that were created early in the life of RCT2. Most of those designers have left the community for their own reasons. The ones I'm talking about are the designers that are still in the community in some capacity. Some still making their objects, parks or tracks.

I've seen where someone has asked about an object that they need. Someone who has that object posts it in the forum. This hasn't just been another member at the site, but staff members have done this as well.

This is just wrong! Some of these objects are still available for download at either the creator's site or a site that is hosting the creator's objects.

I'm asking everyone who has done this in the past to please stop. If the object(s) is/are still available, please direct the person asking to the site where they can be downloaded. If they are no longer available for download, please send a private message (PM) to the person asking for their email address so that you can send the object(s) to them. Please don't post them for download in the forums.
MidwestBoyInLA
I agree, Rohn, and thanks for pointing this out. I've noticed several of my objects made available at another site's forums. Not only is this a violation of RCT*Mart's TOS and user agreements, but is also a violation of the other site's TOS (which ironically states their downloads may not be made available elsewhere - and even goes so far as to say that if their objects are used in any park download, that they must be credited AND have a link back to the host site). I just don't get how this practice (of posting objects from another site) can be condoned (and often perpetuated) by the site's staff and management.

Here at RCT*Mart it is our policy to NOT allow attachments by anyone other than the object's/track's/park's original creator. Any members found to be attaching files that are not their own intellectual property will be contacted by staff and will be asked to either provide proof of permission to post the objects or asked to remove the objects for download.

We've been working on a "Lost & Found Department," which will launch soon. The purpose of this project is to provide downloads for objects that are no longer available for download anywhere else in the RCT Community (because the creator has retired or disappeared) and to try to locate the original creator when the object's creator is unknown (working together with others in the community to identify and locate the objects' creators).

However if a creator is known and if the download is available somewhere else in the community, members (and staff) must ALWAYS link to that location (if other members are asking for help locating an object) instead of attaching the download here.
eastbayboy
I TOTALLY AGREE. It's like saying you wrote built this certain car from scratch, and Cadillac made it, and everyone knows your a liar. Banana Police, here we come.
ride_exchanger
I just was made aware of a stole park from 2003. SO this has been going on for a while i think. It was a fairly high profile park from a compo at NE that was stolen too.
RCTycoon14
It's different to say "This item you are looking for might be found (name)" or "You might want to look here." than to say, "I made this."

If you know where this item is found and know where to find it, but what if its not there? I mean. I was looking for Super Mario stuff, and the creator no longer had it.

If you have what a person is looking for, why not let them have it, but don't say that it is yours. Also, if you create something be sure to put your name on it.

"Ex: (Creation) Made By: RCTycoon14"

Is this what is being said to do here?
MidwestBoyInLA
We're talking about someting like this:

Member #1 "I need DAT named XXX.dat to open a park, does anyone have it?"
Member #2: "Yes, I happen to have a copy of that... here it is" and they attach it to the post.

If the original object creator is known and still active in the community, instead of attaching the object to the post, Member #2 should instead say:

Member #3: "That DAT was part of a a scenery group created by So and So and is available at this link."

If the DAT is no longer available for download, or if the creator is not known, then we will be opening up our Lost & Found Department soon to collect DATs for download. However, part of the Lost & Found Department's duties will be to try to actively locate the object's creator and obtain permission to continue to host the download here at RCT*Mart.

Rohn's post, and my own personal concern on this subject is in response to people within the community, and certain sites in particular, making a habit of offering downloads (scenery, parks, etc.) created by other people - people who are still active in the community and downloads that are still available at their original download location. By providing these downloads directly (whether via attachments to posts, or emailing them) the members (and sites) are in direct violation of almost every RCT site's TOS, which usually state that the specific host site's downloads may not be made available anywhere else.

That's what we're trying to put a stop to.

If a creator is not known or has retired, taking their objects offline with them (as in the case of the Super Mario stuff) then our Lost & Found Department will host those objects... at least until such time as the creator can be found and we can determine if those objects are in fact available for download somewhere and, if not, if we may host them here.

I hope that clarifies.
Spunknit
I wholeheartedly agree with the statements above. Imagine how upset & disappointed I was to find someone had posted some of my UCES tracks at Atari, claiming them to be their own creation. Some even used the exact same NAME that I used for the tracks. There is no way for me to contact this user, so I am out of luck.

Also, another pet peeve. I have seen this violation repeated over & over without regard or reference to the original creator. I think it should apply to my tracks (& others as well) too. I have seen my tracks used in parks available for download, but no reference is made to the creator. While the same folks would raise a huge uproar if their items have been included for download WITHOUT a reference to the creator, they thought nothing of using my tracks without my permission or even acknowledgement that I created it.

When you download anything from the RCT*Mart, you agree to giving credit to the creator, whether it be scenery, rides, objects or tracks. You agree not to claim them as your own. You agree not to place them for download. This is standard on most sites. The shame is not everyone follows this rule.
RCTycoon14
Ok, this is all I needed to know. Thanks! I'll be watching too. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2007 Invision Power Services, Inc.