Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have a dilema....
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
jonnyrocks
Well, I bought RCT3 as soon as it came out, and, like a few people, was sorley disappointed with the game, although this may have been to do with my computer not being able to run it very welll......

Anyways, do you reccomend me getting Soaked? It looks very good, but im concerned about how my pc would handle it. Does it improve RCT3?

Cheers for any help
Leonardofury
From what i have heard Soaked improves the general performance of RCT3 as well as adding a lot of extra options into the game. I'd advise getting it though I'd listen to some people who actually have it.
Wagi
I too was very disappointed with RCT3...in fact the disc remained on the shelf for months without ever being used. Finally a short time ago my video card failed, so I went ahead and invested in a better one. I tried RCT3 again, it seemed a lot better, but still wasn't quite there. Soaked! finally was released here in Brazil last week. I don't know how much of the improvement is due to the new video board, or how much is due to Soaked!, but I am playing it...and enjoying it.

I did take some time to do some research into some tips on how to maximise performance, and those helped...a lot. Seeing some of the scenery items being planned by designers for RCT3 is also exciting, and I think the future holds some great things for the game..

My own suggestion would be that while Soaked! does seem to improve things somewhat, upgrading your computer will make more of a difference. Do I think you should run out and spend the money on new video card? Not at all! I would NOT spend money like that just to play RCT3.

I'm still angry that Atari/Frontier were less than forthcoming about many people not being able to enjoy the game even when their machines were well above the minimum requirments set by Atari/Frontier themselves. I'm even angrier that they seemed to suggest that the only recourse was for us to upgrade rather then them fixing the game.

But if you do upgrade in the future, I would suggest then doing so with an eye on RCT3...with the right machine and the Soaked! improvements it is fun and I am growing to really love it.
ekimmel
I highly recommend Soaked.
sambo
If you have RCT3 - then Soaked! is a must-have...
mikecoolguy
I haven't noticed as many good things with Soaked as I have bad things. On my Tropic of Bacon park I'm working on, whenever I open the game my comp goes crazy. I think it's cause I have so much stuff in my park. I've run the game using the highest graphics available and the lowest, but I still have the problem. I have a very good graphics card though. I never had this problem with plain RCT3, so I think Soaked has some major problems to be fixed out. I have noticed though that after I got Soaked, RCT3 doesn't randomly shut down. So that's a plus. You also get a lot more options with Soaked, like the waterfalls, underground, underwater, and a lot more stuff. I would say go ahead and buy it if you have the money right now. If you don't have the money, I wouldn't bother.

Mike cool.gif
rlindsey
I've gotten Soaked and it's well worth it. It fixes many bugs It lets you use the control key again and you can now put coasters, rides and paths underground. But you cannot put the entrances and exits of them underground. Plus I've noticed that your cam view automatically reverts back to eye level when you let go of the mouse button. I haven't found a way to fix this yet. Anybody have an idea?
OrlanDude
I just loaded Soaked over the weekend and my computer is not handling it very well. It's a new computer (April 2005) with 512Mb of RAM that had no problems running a RCT3 park with about 1500 guests .While RCT3 ran great with little or no glitches, I've noticed a definite slow down since I loaded Soaked. Also while reviewing Wagi's park contest entry many of the 300+ peeps that were in the park when I loaded it were walking in place like they were stuck. Strange. banana-dazed.gif I also notice that Windows is running out of Virtural Memory while the game is running. So, may the buyer beware.
Wagi
The 'walking in place' syndrome is a 'known issue' according to posts at the Atari forums...it's connected to a bug that causes your peeps to be 'Admiring the View'. Because of the group A.I., when they are stuck in place it can cause the remainder of their group to stand around 'waiting for group'. There's also a related bug where peeps can get stuck on benches, and one where they turn into weird suntan lotion 'junkies', going from stall to stall looking for the precious sunblock and ignoring the rides.

So far the only offered 'fix' for the walking in place bug is to move them one-by-one with the pinchers (get real... banana-crazy.gif ) or use the water cannon to blast them. So far there has been no word of any fix from Frontier...in fact recently David B said in an interview that they knew of no issue that warrants a patch banana-impatient.gif .

I encourage anyone finding this problem to read and reply to two threads at the Atari forums...the first about the "Admiring the View' bug HERE. The other thread is even more important...it's a polite civil request for Atari/Frontier to address the issue HERE. This thread is important...they need to know that not all of the community are Fanbois who usually shout down anyone with a concern, but regular folks to want to LOVE this game as much as we did the previous versions. I would personally ask anyone replying to that thread to state their opinion but to do so in a respectful and polite manner, please. We are hoping that someone will finally have to at least acknowledge the problem and to stop saying there is no problem or to blame it on how we play the game. banana-confused.gif

Otherwise for me Soaked! improved my frame rate and there were some nice additions. The new bugs hurt that. Also be aware that if you build a park while Soaked! is installled, it will require that anyone else viewing it also have Soaked! installed, even if you didn't use anything from the expansion. Soaked! was not just an expansion pack...it also contains patches for some issues (while obviously causing others...).
Leonardofury
All in all I think Soaked! has improved the way my game has run. I now know why I build without peeps having looked at Wagi's park!
mikecoolguy
QUOTE(rlindsey @ Aug 8 2005, 12:49 PM)
Plus I've noticed that your cam view automatically reverts back to eye level when you let go of the mouse button. I haven't found a way to fix this yet. Anybody have an idea?

You fix that by clickling the floppy disk button while you're in the game. Then you click the button with the tools on it. Then you click on the...I can't remember what the button looks like. I do know that there are a couple of buttons of the top right side of that screen. There's one with a camera on it, if that helps you find the buttons I'm talking about. Then click on the last button to the right. Then you can change the camera mode to Advanced Mode (or something like that) instead of normal.

Mike cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.