Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Question of The Day
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > Q&A Desk
DoomOfDays
So? Because Blue Storm in my park is the best coaster I ever made, but the ratings are horrible. I don't plan on opening the park or the ride to the public.
Nforce
I think it honestly depends on what you're trying to achieve when you create your park. Are you really trying to create a realistic park? Or are you going for a park that looks good with no intention of making it, or the rides, peep friendly?

Yes, you can have a park that looks good and is peep friendly. But you've got to determine what you're real intent is. This goes for the rides too.

Now, you say that Blue Storm is the best coaster you've done. Fine, I won't argue that point with you. But why do you say it's the best coaster you've done, layout or overall looks? I've not paid much attention to your park topic, so I'm not trying to start an argument, just asking.

I won't vote in your poll because of this. I'd certainly like to hear from some of the other members regarding their views on this particular question. I don't think that you have to comment on Doom's park, just his question.
DoomOfDays
Well, I fixed the coaster so it is rideable, without sacrificing looks.
But the question still remains.
Wagi
I know some people don't even like to open their parks so that they can stay nice and avoid problems caused by things designed to look good rather then to function good within the restraints of the game. I understand the reasons for that.

My personal opinion is that I look at parks (and thus rides that are in parks) as a slice of make-believe, and one of the things that makes it so magical is seeing the movement of lights, objects, rides and peeps.
A static object doesn't hold a lot for me unless it is the background from something moving. Thus a large static coaster would lose a lot of it's magic if it's just sitting there. I don't care a bit about stats myself if the ride looks good and it acts good.
jonnyrocks
I can see the idea of creating a great looking coaster, but if you are in dire need of money, you have to radically change the coaster look to make it work (which I have odne many times).

I voted yes, as loing as you have enough money to afford it!
Leonardofury
My personal opinion is that if a coaster is the best you've ever made it should look good while still being ridable. This means that your intensity should be below 10, your nausea should also be low (pref. max 5 or 6), the layout should be good. The physics of the game are roughly realistic, most coasters don't have a huge number of inversions especially those taken at high speed. That's because they make people feel ill. If your ride is too intense I've found speed to be the major cause in particular in two areas
- Corners. If you try to take an corner too fast you'll get excessive lateral g's. This will raise the intensity and be uncomfortable for your riders. Banking the corner will help, as will increasing the incline up to the corner and raising the corner further off the ground to burn off some of the speed.
- Inversions. Most coasters tend to only do about 20 mph at most over the top of inversions. This is because inversions introduce negative g's. Negative g's also give the sensation of airtime when you go down a drop. If the drop crests to sharply the negative g's increase. Increased negative g's of -1g tend to hurt as you are being pushed against the harness with a weight heavier than your body weight. This tends to hurt and as such is dicouraged. Positive G's can be much higher as you are pushed into the seat with tends to be more comfortable. So if you build a multi-inversion coaster watch your speed through the inversions and if you are going too fast, try to find a way to slow train down through the inversion. The best way to do this is build the inversion higher, add more track before the inversion or last and definately least use trim brakes.

Here's my list of tips for good coaster building.
- Watch your speeds
- Make use of scenary and landscaping to increase the excitement and fun of your coaster
- Anyone can build a good first drop, try to make sure the rest of the coaster is exciting too
- Make use of block brakes and try to have a brake run before the station
- On camelbacks try to use the steep to flat and flat to steep track pieces to reduce intensity
- And finally, adding one piece of lifthill to get the train over the hill is just silly. Let's not be seeing anymore of that, ok?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.