Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you start a park?
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > Q&A Desk
mcjaco
Howdy everyone, new here but, an long time RCT/RCT2 addict. I've recently "rediscovered" RCT2 and have been downloading stuff like a mad man. The stuff here is top notch! I've been wondering, when you guys and gals start working on a new sceneario, what scenery items are must have? You know the stuff you can use over and over but, color them differently so everything doesn't look the same....that sort of stuff. I keep selecting stuff, then going in and realizing I have three wall types that are too similiar and my selection should have been used on something else. Does this make sense? banana-confused.gif
ekimmel
Making a scenario for a park is never easy to do. For me it's the least fun part of making a park. I'll usually just use one that was made for a contest unless I have a specific theme in mind.
Leonardofury
Moving to questions and answers.

I usually use a custom park map, TT quarter tile blocks and the mine and mechanical theming. The rest depends on the park theme, you just have to be careful selecting your objects.
Spunknit
I think what you are asking is : how do you customize the objects in the scenario. If that is the case, you need to choose advanced view, then you can de-select the ones you don't want. Be sure to keep at least one item from each of the default tabs (ie: trees, fences, walls, etc.). Hope that helps! banana-grin.gif
mcjaco
Thanks for moving this. I kind made it a greeting and a question..... banana-confused.gif

I guess what I'm trying to ask is which items do you guys use that can fill a lot of different roles. For example, is there a wall section that you find fits the bill for many different roles? My problem is that I keep picking roofs and walls that I think are too similiar....kind of like I'm doubling up on items when I could use those selections on something else. Making sense????
SythDude
Welcome to the mart.

Objects I use are:

Phatage catwalks...a must have for coasters.
ToonTower anything.
Lot's of Stuff from the UCES.
Heck, even the top of a chimney can make a great flower pot. Just experiment!
OrlanDude
I almost always select Cougar's Glass Pack & ToonTowner's colorable rooves (tile, wooden & shake). I generally like to use the generic & wooden walls. MKX's striped & village walls are also very versitile. I usually un-select most of the trees & gardens, and all of the generic rooves that come with the game to make room for my user-made selections.
mcjaco
Thanks guys, I that was my problem, I had too many "double selections" which wouldn't let me use all the great stuff I've downloaded over the last few weeks. It's amazing how much variety you can get if you pick and choose carefully.
rlindsey
Scenery item selection is a crucial part of the scenario building proccess. Just keep in mind when you are selecting what you want your scenario to look like. I always try to picture what scenery items would look like in the scenario when I'm choosing them. Of course there are some standby regular items I almost always choose. (Colorable walls, glass packs etc...) But I try not to choose items that are unlikely to be needed. (Such as igloo walls on a volcano island) The main problem I have is that often there are more items I want to use than space in the scenario for them. Then you really need to be selective. The advance tab feature is very helpfull in selecting which items you want, but it doesn't show you what the items look like while you're selectin them. Unless you've used those items repeatively you'll won't know untill you look in the scenario itself. A good program to have is Datchecker. It will list all the items for you and with a few clicks you can see what the items look like. Then all you have to do is remember the item's names and choose them from the advanced list.
Rohn Starr
Another thing you can do is set up a landscape as your default starting point. This would be the one where you have the objects/rides/stalls that you would most likely be using in creating your park. Make sure that you save this as a landscape. From this, you can add or delete whatever you want for the type of park you're doing.
Fossil
Some good ideas above. Nice work, folks!

When you start, you'll likely have an idea of your park/scenario's overall theme. If you don't - you're probably not ready to even start.

As long as you are in the landscape editor, you can change your scenery selections. Any unused object can be unchecked (advanced tab); any group can be unchecked, although objects that have been placed on the landscape will remain selected.

I've found it helpful to start off a new scenario with bare-bones, minimal scenery choices. I select only the groups/items that I am 100% sure that I need.

Then I start to build using these. This keeps the object "palette" small initially, and gives me room for additions as work progresses.

A new section of the park can be planned with an eye towards adding objects specifically for it.

Inevitably, I run out of slots, and start making some difficult decisions. I don't need every type of flower or tree. Some tree styles are just wrong for certain parks, anyway. The standard walls and roofs have some redundancy, and often many of these get removed.

Towards the end, it's a balancing act. I'll go back to the list of objects, and see which are checked, but not used (if an object is in use, you can't un-check it - the check mark is greyed out). Which ones in, which ones out? It can be very tough.

If I can save a few empty slots, at the end I will fill them in with things like fireworks or extra water theme objects to put the icing on the cake.

Managing the object selection process can be somewhat tedious, but it is a detail that can make a difference.

Note that once you leave the landscape editor and convert it to a scenario, that's it - no more scenery object changes are possible (unless you load the scenario back in the landscape editor, losing all rides in the process).
mcjaco
I think I've gotten more out of the scenario editor in the last two days from this post than I did in the years I've owned RCT. Thanks to all of you!

I started doing the bouncing back and forth with the scenery tabs, unchecking and checking new items when I'd realized I didn't have something I needed or had too many similiar objects.

Now if you could only add rides......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.