Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RCT3 custom objects
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
Leonardofury
Ok this was posted in the RCT3 FAQ thread by one of the admin

User Created Content

Q: Will I be able to create my own scenery for the game?
Q: Which rides can I create on my own?
Q: Can I import custom built 3D models into RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3 like I could in RollerCoaster Tycoon® 2?
Q: What other user created “Mods” will be allowed with the new RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3 engine?

A: (to all the above)
Unfortunately importing your own scenery or any other 3D models into the game is a feature that will NOT be in the game when it is first released. There are some major issues involved with this, and we feel the time remaining before release will be better spent on other aspects of the game. However, once we have completed the game we WILL sit down and figure out what it would take to make that happen. Atari and Frontier believe strongly in the value of allowing the RollerCoaster Tycoon® community to modify and customize the game.

This could be bad news for custom object makers.
rct625
That's too bad. Let's hope Atari and Frontier CAN sort this out.
Nforce
I actually consider this to be encouraging news. I never thought that we would be able to import new objects with the initial release. One of the early interviews said that it was being looked at, but did not indicate that it would actually be in the game when released.

As long as Atari and Frontier will look into the possibility of allowing the RCT commnunity to create some sort of mod for the game, this can be nothing but encouraging. I also appreciate that they are not promising anything except that the issue will be examined.
rct2obsessed
The more I hear about RCT3 the more I think I will stick to 2. I WILL get 3 (prolly be the first one crashing through the door when it is released!), but gosh.... how can they improve on perfection! laugh.gif
JP
Well, I knew we wouldn't be able too before, but now it's official. Oh well. I'll just stick to RCT2.

As for RCT2 being "Perfection", I wouldn't say that, there's way to many bugs in the game that they SHOULD have fixed. I hope RCT3 won't be a problem stricken as RCT2 is.
rct2obsessed
Granted, it's kinda buggy. Like the issue I am having right now with the scenario editor. But it still keeps me enchanted for as long as time permits every day!
ktysmi
The way RTC2 had evolved it incredible. I sometimes wonder if the atari people understand that the game that IS is so much better than the game they made.

I will get 3 and probably play it, but the screens don't look very pretty which tells me there is a real need for custom objects for it also.
Wagi

I suspect that we will not be able to. I know it's claimed that they 'want to give us that ability', but my guess is that we'll get it ONLY after they sell us all the expansions that they can first.

Do I know for sure? Nope, I don't work for Atari or Frontier either.
TheVelvetFoxx
I have to agree with Wagi here. They will try to sell us a millions expansions first. Still, The Sims has five or so expansions and that hasn't stopped people from creating millions of new objects If anything, it has people buying both the expansions and custom objects. The Sims isn't as limited by the number of objects you can have either. Believe me, I have tons of them! Atari and Frontier both need to take their cue from Maxis.

As for the pictures not looking too pretty - I can explain part of that because I develop 3D stuff. Like many other games, the the objects, characters look "chunky" close up because they are developed and rendered at a lower resolution that I would use for most of my 3D art. This keeps the graphics from bogging down old computer systems and graphics cards while, at the same time, allowing the game to run faster.

I knew we probably wouldn't be able to build custom objects right away, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I will buy RCT3 but I love playing with RCT2 too much to give it up.
ExtremeCoaster
will you be able to design custom coasters?

I actually found out that you may create custom coasters in RCT3 (thank god) which is all I'm concered about because that's all I create for RCT2 anyways.
Wagi
QUOTE (TheVelvetFoxx @ Aug 8 2004, 06:44 PM)

As for the pictures not looking too pretty - I can explain part of that because I develop 3D stuff. Like many other games, the the objects, characters look "chunky" close up because they are developed and rendered at a lower resolution that I would use for most of my 3D art. This keeps the graphics from bogging down old computer systems and graphics cards while, at the same time, allowing the game to run faster.

Today I saw some new screenshots that were MUCH clear and a high definition! I can live with the slightly 'squared-off' look of the objects, but I sure was hoping we could add our own...

I agree with you TheVelvetFoxx...my RCT2 disc will not gather much dust! I'll buy and play RCT3 because it looks like fun, but RCT2 will still be here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.