Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game takes hours to start up.
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
Tchock
Is it just me but does RCT2 take forever to start up? I put it in after I got home from work at 7:20pm, it is now 12:08am and the disk icon is spinning away and I can't play! Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it?

banana-angry.gif
ekimmel
Make sure your CD is clean and isn't scratched.
LakeHudson
If you have alot of Objdata files, sometimes the game won't load untill it has read every single one of them. This was the problem I was having, it took forever for it to load, and then when it did, it may crash.

Wagi
To take that long to load means there has to be a problem somewhere.

Did you just download a bunch of parks and/or object packs? How full is you objidata folder?

I've also had this happen when I double-clicked the screen icon to start the game...turned out there were duplicate game files trying to open! I used Cntrl-Alt-Del to bring up what was running on my machine and closed the extra game file.

I'd suggest trying to start the game by popping the CD out and then putting it back in. Hope that works.

RCTycoon14
Just to throw out another possibility, you might have spyware on your drive...
Tchock
Thanks everyone for the replies. I do have spyware that I am slowly trying to get rid of. My sister uses the computer and uses BearShare, which needs to go! I bought RCT2 when I bought my computer and I have had the problem since day one. But a few days ago it loaded right up as soon as I put it in!

I have never downloaded any packs. But I did download about 10 tracks from the ride exchange.
RCTycoon14
YES!!! I AM CORRECT! banana-dazed.gif ... sorry. Seriously though, BearShare, LimeWire and whatever else there is, is all MAJOR SpyWare. There is not anything with the files you download from it, but when you run the programs it starts attacking your computer.
Tchock
I got rid of BearShare and deleated all the spyware and crap. I had to deleate and edit in the windows registry! It took 2 hours.
TheÜberTycoon22
QUOTE(RCTycoon14 @ Oct 21 2005, 10:12 PM)
YES!!! I AM CORRECT! banana-dazed.gif ... sorry. Seriously though, BearShare, LimeWire and whatever else there is, is all MAJOR SpyWare. There is not anything with the files you download from it, but when you run the programs it starts attacking your computer.

Limewire (the current version) doesn't contain any adware/spyware.
RCTycoon14
QUOTE(TheÜberTycoon22 @ Oct 22 2005, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE(RCTycoon14 @ Oct 21 2005, 10:12 PM)

Limewire (the current version) doesn't contain any adware/spyware.

Are you 100% sure?
Tchock
That's what they say on the internet but I have a friend of mine that downloaded a new version of LimeWire and I downloaded SpyBot and it found a whole bunch of crap.
JP
I've never had any problems with limewire. The spyware on your friends computer could very well be because of other programs. If he's on a dedicated high speed connection (such as DSL or Cable) and he doesn't have a firewall going, that could very well cause the problem. All you really need to do is protect your comp and know the risks of having a dedicated connection before using an P2P program.

Now Kazaa on the other hand :|... wink.gif
TheÜberTycoon22
When I downloaded Limewire (convinced to do so earlier this year by the Download.com user/editor reviews), I ran Microsoft AntiSpyware and Ad-Aware, full scans. Nothing turned up. Rebooted to check, then scanned with both again, nothing. Though for some reason, a few people in the user reviews section have complained that there were some spyware/adware after they installed it, but I think that they were just trying to create some negative publicity. Just don't download anything that looks suspicious from any file-sharing program (or the Internet).
Tchock
Either way it's illegal. I do admit that I enjoyed it though. I would download songs before I bought the album. I'm a vinyl collector.

I never would have thought that having adware or spyware might cause it to load slowly. My computer all around it fast, except when loading the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.