Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Olympics
RCT*Mart Forums > The Arcade > The Food Court
RCT Mike
2006 Winter Games

Well i cannot beleive that another olympics is just around the corner..Didnt we just have an olympics not to long agao...But i really like the winter games better than the summer games....
pnkfloyd12
The reason it seems that the Olympics weren't too long ago is because since the late 80's/early 90's (don't remember the exact year), the Summer and Winter Olympics are held in different years. The Summer games basically follow the leap years (2000, 2004, 2008, etc) and the Winter games are held during the other even-numbered years (2002, 2006, 2010, etc).

I don't remember the reasons for splitting them up, but I think I liked it better when they were held in the same year. I also liked it better before they started letting professional athletes participate in the games.
DoomOfDays
Actually, it works like this.
Take the 2002 Winter Games for example. There are Olympics every 2 years, and it alternates, Winter then Summer, then Winter.
rlindsey
They did it for two reasons. First they get more money and two more publicity which gets them even more money. It's always about money.
ride_exchanger
QUOTE(DoomOfDays @ Nov 13 2005, 11:50 AM)
Actually, it works like this.  Take the 2002 Winter Games for example. There are Olympics every 2 years, and it  alternates, Winter then Summer, then Winter.
Thats what pnkfloyd12 just said wink.gif

I personally like the "alternating Olympics theory", because I dont like waiting 4 years for the Olympics everytime; 2 years is long enough to wait. I also like the Winter olympics betterthan the Summer, probably cause I'm a Winter person in general.

I dont mind the Pro Athletes being in the games, but I am more interested in the sports that they are not in, i.e. NOT baseball/basketball/hockey. Of course I know 2 of those are in the Summer Games, I was just naming those 3 because they are the 3 sports that have the biggest name Pro Athletes in them in both the Winter/Summer games. For the winter games, I like the skiing, snowboarding, bobsled and luge events, because you dont get to see those kinds of sports everyday like you would Hockey or Basketball.
rlindsey
Personably I like the bobsleds. But those athletes on the luges are crazy!
pnkfloyd12
For the Winter Olympics, I like the luge and bobsled events.
Fossil
Gotta go with the women ice skaters. 'Specially when they amuse us by doing stuff like clocking their boyfriends with hubcaps, then going on to brilliant careers as celebrity boxers (thanks, Tonya!).
Neeltje
^ banana-wink.gif , banana-pbbbt.gif , well I prefer the male ice skaters. Our Dutch blond heroes used to be real winners and it's a great joy to see them gliding around the track. I remember 8 years ago I was working visiting a client who had her TV turned on the Olympics skate final. Between serious talk we watched the match and saw three Dutch men on the winners platform Awinner.gif

As for the bobsledges: I admit it's kind of fun, but IMO anyone could jump on a sledge and go downhill by gravity banana-dazed.gif
OrlanDude
Neeltje, I think bobsledding is tougher than you think, at least for the driver of the sled. Do you remember the Jamaican sledders back in Calgary (I think); they were all over the track and even flipped their sled on one run.

My personal favorites are alpine skiing, all the sledding sports (bobsled, luge & skeleton), speed skating & curling (yes, curling). I don't really care for sports that are scored based on judges (figure skating, freestyle skiing, etc). I also like ice hockey, but I can watch that any time now that the NHL is back in business.

Neeltje
QUOTE(OrlanDude @ Nov 19 2005, 10:49 PM)
Neeltje, I think bobsledding is tougher than you think, at least for the driver of the sled.  Do you remember the Jamaican sledders back in Calgary (I think); they were all over the track and even flipped their sled on one run.

Yes, I know it's a tough sport. I was trying to be ironical, but well.... No, I didn't see the Jamaican sledders fly over the track.
Leonardofury
I like Ice Hockey (why did my local team have to disappear sad.gif ) , Downhill skiing and the bobsled/luge for the sheer speed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.