Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats the most annyoing thing.......
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
jonnyrocks
Whats the most annyoing thing.......thats ever happened to you while playing RCT?

Mine was in a scenario I just started, I used up my loan building a coaster and a flat ride, and was building a very nice giga coaster very slowly with the limited revenue I had.....Finally, I finished, and hoping the train would make it round, I clicked the flag
>
>
>
>
Error trapper
--Exception raised

*smashes head against screen*

Words cannot describe that feeling.......having to start all over again.....ah well

Whats your worst RCT feeling?
Spunknit
I made an awesome coaster in a park, thought I saved it...deleted the park. No coaster...argghhhh!
pnkfloyd12
I also made an awesome coaster in roller coaster designer. I tested it and saved it, but since it had 4 stations, I couldn't use it in any scenario or even load it in designer mode again.
TheÜberTycoon22
QUOTE(jonnyrocks @ Jan 2 2006, 05:05 AM)
Whats the most annyoing thing.......thats ever happened to you while playing RCT?

Mine was in a scenario I just started, I used up my loan building a coaster and a flat ride, and was building a very nice giga coaster very slowly with the limited revenue I had.....Finally, I finished, and hoping the train would make it round, I clicked the flag
>
>
>
>
Error trapper
--Exception raised

*smashes head against screen*

Words cannot describe that feeling.......having to start all over again.....ah well

Whats your worst RCT feeling?

Gotta love to hate those error trappers... happened to me a few times as well, also with the giga coasters. Seems that they are slightly more prone to causing those errors.

My most annoying thing: several months ago when I was new to RCT2, switching over from RCT1, I was making new parks using the scenario editor, I really wanted to start building rides. So after I went through the editor stuff, I was finally ready to open the scenario and start building! After I had built these magnificent rides and stuff, I realised that guests pocketed very little money, I forgot to select a few of the rides I wanted, and I misplaced some scenery outside the park! I had to restart building everything. That is why I kinda dislike RCT2's scenario editor; you have to save your landscape, then open it and build from there. If you make mistakes beyond what you can control from the scenario, you have to restart.
Rohn Starr
Actually, you can open the landscape from any scenario or saved game. There won't be any rides on the landscape, but you can then make ANY modifications you want to the landscape as well as add or delete any rides, shops or scenery you want.
Leonardofury
Having scrapped mark one of a park already because I wasn't happy with it, and taking it back into the editor, then having the park crash while I was trying to hack something (not unexpected I had saved before hand). I'd finally got part of the park done and saved and had almost finish another section. Suddenly the computer goes dead, lights go out and all the digital clocks go out. Power cut... Didn't get power again for 3 hours.
devilman
I usually would post the most annoying thing for me was when i got an error screen every time I loaded my old game, but now I must say, it was when I built and entire landscape with mountains and rivers plus one waterfall, then suddenly my game shut down on me! That was the day that I broke my computer mouse banana-impatient.gif
TheÜberTycoon22
QUOTE(Rohn Starr @ Jan 4 2006, 07:37 AM)
Actually, you can open the landscape from any scenario or saved game.  There won't be any rides on the landscape, but you can then make ANY modifications you want to the landscape as well as add or delete any rides, shops or scenery you want.

Yeah I know about being able to open the landscape from a saved game or scenario. I have done this a few times before. But how can I add or delete rides IN the scenario editor, or am I not getting what you were saying? banana-crazy.gif To make scenery/large scale landscape adjustments beyond what I can control I would have to edit the that stuff in the editor, make it a scenario, then restart building in there.
Spunknit
Way back with RCT1, I was working my way through the scenarios. At the same time, we were having our kitchen remodeled. There I was on the computer, working desperately to complete a very difficult scenario. Almost finished. Suddenly, the construction workers shut down the power to the kitchen, AND TO MY COMPUTER!

Lesson learned...save often.
rlindsey
Frequent saves, saves lives.
Rohn Starr
QUOTE(TheÜberTycoon22 @ Jan 6 2006, 01:54 AM)
Yeah I know about being able to open the landscape from a saved game or scenario. I have done this a few times before. But how can I add or delete rides IN the scenario editor, or am I not getting what you were saying? banana-crazy.gif To make scenery/large scale landscape adjustments beyond what I can control I would have to edit the that stuff in the editor, make it a scenario, then restart building in there.

The same way you would when you create a new scenario/landscape. What I'm talking about is loading the landscape from either a saved game or scenario file. You don't get to keep any of the rides previously built, but all the scenery is still where it was previously placed.

All you have to do to load the landscape from either a saved game or another scenario is click on the options icon [the floppy disk] and select 'Load Landscape'. In the dialog box, just navigate to the folder where the scenario [Scenarios folder] or saved game [Saved Games folder] and select the file that you want to modify the landscape. Then click on the 'Open' button. This will open the landscape.

You can navigate through the SE, forwards and backwards, as much as you want. You can make any changes to the rides/stalls/scenery/landscape as you want. You can't delete any scenery in the selection process if it's been used in the landscape itself. But you can delete that from the landscape if you want and then un-select it. You can change the name of the 'scenario' if you want. You can change the scenario objectives. You can change any other conditions you want for the scenario. It's almost like you're starting from scratch. The only thing, I think, you can't change is reducing the size of owned land.

You can save the landscape at any point prior to saving it as a scenario. Even up to the point where you've created all the conditions/objectives for the scenario. And I HIGHLY recommend that you save the landscape at some point.
TheÜberTycoon22
Yeah, I thought you said there was a way to build rides in the scenario editor. The rest of the stuff I already got. But thanks anyways for the long explanation! It could be a mini-scenario editor guide for future RCT2 newbies. banana-grin.gif
Neeltje
It may be my european version of the game, but I'm not able to load saved games in the SE. It only lets me select .SC6 files.

I think the best next approach for you, Ubertycoon, would be to create a 'sandbox' scenario from your landscape: you set the goal at something like Build 10 coasters, and have a no money option. Build your rides with scenery in this sandbox scenario, while you make sure guests can't enter your park so they don't bother you. Save your rides with scenery and paths.

Then go back to your original landscape, and make a final scenario with the goal and options as you want them to be. When you play this final scenario you can put in the rides with scenery you saved. If you wish, you can convert this saved game (with rides, people, employees) into a new scenario.
Rohn Starr
Neeltje, I find it odd that you can't load the landscape from a saved game. I've done this with an RCT1 saved game and got exactly what I expected. I even tried to see if it would load the tile paths from RCT1, but they came out as the regular tarmac path.

I've never been able to close the park if I use the 'no money' option, so I don't know if it's possible to keep the guests out of the park except for not extending the paths from the entrance into the rest of the park. I have done it this way when I wanted to test rides in a park before, or when I try to theme them.

And yes, it is a shame that you can't build the rides and shops in the SE. But that's the way CS programmed it, so we have to deal with it.
Leonardofury
My personal preference is to use no money build 10 rollercoasters and leave the path immediately after the entrance missing. This means the guests can't get in and you're free to build the park. After it's completed you can 'open' it by adding the path. The other option is to do the same as the above and use the 8 Cars trainer to force closed the park. just remember you then have to force open it again in the trainer.
humanmango
Well, it's not really annoying, but certainly strange...

I was loading a landscape from RCT1, and leveling out the land, except I noticed that -$20 signs were appearing each time I did something. So I opened the scenery tab, then heard a Windows sound. The scenery window only opened halfway. Naturally, I clicked it.

Wait...

Wait...

Blue Windows window. Highlighted it, what did I find?

Error Trapper banana-dazed.gif
Neeltje
QUOTE(Rohn Starr @ Jan 13 2006, 04:50 PM)
Neeltje, I find it odd that you can't load the landscape from a saved game.  I've done this with an RCT1 saved game and got exactly what I expected.  I even tried to see if it would load the tile paths from RCT1, but they came out as the regular tarmac path.

I've never been able to close the park if I use the 'no money' option, so I don't know if it's possible to keep the guests out of the park except for not extending the paths from the entrance into the rest of the park.  I have done it this way when I wanted to test rides in a park before, or when I try to theme them.

And yes, it is a shame that you can't build the rides and shops in the SE.  But that's the way CS programmed it, so we have to deal with it.

In the 'open a file' window there is always a box down below where you can select the file type(s) you want to select from. It won't let me select any other file type than .SC6, there is no list nor the choice 'any file'. I tried to open a saved game anyway but the game closed after apparently freezing for a minute or so.
Nforce
I see your problem Neeltje. I don't even worry about the file types, I just navigate to the folder I want to open the landscape from. It doesn't make any difference what the file type is. I can open .sc6, .sv6 and .sv4 from the scenario editor. Just because it only gives you the option of a Landscape File isn't an issue. The game looks at all three file types as possible landscape files. So go ahead and try it.
TheÜberTycoon22
QUOTE(Neeltje @ Jan 12 2006, 11:26 PM)
It may be my european version of the game, but I'm not able to load saved games in the SE. It only lets me select .SC6 files.

I think the best next approach for you, Ubertycoon, would be to create a 'sandbox' scenario from your landscape: you set the goal at something like Build 10 coasters, and have a no money option. Build your rides with scenery in this sandbox scenario, while you make sure guests can't enter your park so they don't bother you. Save your rides with scenery and paths.

Then go back to your original landscape, and make a final scenario with the goal and options as you want them to be. When you play this final scenario you can put in the rides with scenery you saved. If you wish, you can convert this saved game (with rides, people, employees) into a new scenario.

I already have a sandbox ride-building scenario (in fact, two of them, to allow the use of all the original RCT2 scenery groups). However, I have not really thought about building and saving the rides there, then inserting to the final scenario, mainly because I would have to adjust all the underground parts of the ride and stuff. However, I could try it.

QUOTE(humanmango @ Jan 13 2006, 12:40 PM)
Well, it's not really annoying, but certainly strange...

I was loading a landscape from RCT1, and leveling out the land, except I noticed that -$20 signs were appearing each time I did something. So I opened the scenery tab, then heard a Windows sound. The scenery window only opened halfway. Naturally, I clicked it.

Wait...

Wait...

Blue Windows window. Highlighted it, what did I find?

Error Trapper banana-dazed.gif

Same thing. Opened a landscape from RCT1 in SE, placing anything costs $20. Also, a few times, selecting one of the scenery tabs will terminate the program with an error trapper.
Me121
It was when I had first started RCT2...made a park (wasn't that good) that took me ten hours to make. I finally finish, and open up my scenario...and what do you know, the guests can't get anywhere. I had placed a path in a volcano, and since I didn't know about that blue arrow that you have to use, they couldn't get in my park...

And whaddya know, I didn't know you could save landscapes.
Josho
Owning a joyful thing called a laptop now, my power worries are a thing of the past.. right? Nothing can convey how good it feels to lose power, and I can still toil away on a laptop until the batteries die (after two hours, it's a beast of a laptop).

Unfortunately, owning a laptop means a slower hard drive. I attribute that as being the reason, RCT 2 locks up occasionally. I mean, serious freezing issues, like as though I'm trying to run Wolfenstein on a x286 or something like that. I did invest in a external hard drive, and though I haven't tried, it may just solve the problem. I reckon RCT2 is full of dodgy programming. For example, Max Payne 2 runs beautifully off my laptop hard disc, and then C&C generals also goes through the same lock ups (and its graphically pathetic) as RCT 2, with the end result being turn off the computer, and starting back up again.

Computers... hmmph. I've been caught out many times with RCT locking on me, and the loss of a fair bit of work. Frustrating? Indeed.
wolfman
Power outages. I haven't experienced a serious lock-up. It always seems to recover. I just wait it out. Usually a minute or two.

Seriously, save after every project you finish. I think the game saves it in an active memory. When it gets full, it freezes.

banana-chuck.gif So save my darlings, SAVE early & often. banana.gif

At least, you'll have the most recent save as a backup when all else fails.
RCTycoon14
QUOTE(wolfman @ Mar 4 2006, 01:36 PM) *

Power outages. I haven't experienced a serious lock-up. It always seems to recover. I just wait it out. Usually a minute or two.

Seriously, save after every project you finish. I think the game saves it in an active memory. When it gets full, it freezes.

banana-chuck.gif So save my darlings, SAVE early & often. banana.gif

At least, you'll have the most recent save as a backup when all else fails.

It's spyware.
Josho
Well, actually no, I can rule out spyware RCTycoon14. If you read my post, then frankly, the problem seems to lie with the game itself, otherwise I'd be suffering serious problems with all resource heavy programs/games. Given what you said Wolfman, it could be in a way a possibility. Having 700Mb of RAM means there is that extra bit of play in memory, something Chris Sawyer may not have realised when he initially designed the game engine.
RCTycoon14
Well, everytime I run my spyware scanner before I play, it doesn't lock up on me, but if I don't it would... so I don't know exactly, but it seems that it would be spyware that is locking my computer up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.