Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got it downloaded
RCT*Mart Forums > Hardware Department > RCT General Discussion
ktysmi
This is such a limited demo that it won't convince many to buy the game in my opinion.

Game controls will be ok--not as easy as in 2 but not bad.

Think I still prefer 2
rct2nut
well I downloaded it but cant get it to work. Says something about debug.
Wagi
There are a LOT of people having problems with the download!

I was able to play with it a while....it seems to be fun, however I'm afraid that after a while this game will bore me. I like the details I put into a park...this just doesn't allow that detail yet.

It's a fun game...but it's NOT replacing rct2 in my house...
mikecoolguy
I downloaded it. I haven't played it yet though. banana-cowboy.gif
ktysmi
Wagi, I agree. I hope the final version is better. This demo really does not offer much that would stimulate sales.
rct2nut
If Wagi and ktysmi are saying that it isnt the good then I guess i am not missing anything. smile.gif
RCT Guru
No, your not. I liked it at first, but I soon got very bored with its limits and lack of detail. banana-sleep.gif
mikecoolguy
I got the debug thing too. I guess I won't feel too bad anymore now. bananapeel.gif
ktysmi
I don't think the demo is "good" in the sense that it does not allow enough of a sample to see if the game will be good. The demo is so limited that it quickly gets boring.

Wagi, I can't even find a way to color cordinate the park--something I like to do.

Wish they had at least kept the RCT I and II music as an option. I liked each ride playing its own music box like tune. On the demo it is very hip and rockish--you can tell they are after the teenybopper market.
g-w-r
well, i current have a new brodband being installed. the engineer guy is certainly taking his time getting to my house so right now, i got wanadoo 56k (it suks). when i clicked download. it came up as.... wait for it

56 hrs 32 minutes! banana-blink.gif

i kinda understang with a demo being 184mb

come on, thats a bigger file than some games i have on my computer.
Wagi
Playing with it some more there are things I like...riding things is one, looking at things from a peeps view is another. Some of the graphics are very nice...others are horrible. I noticed that building walls don't always line up and leave cracks of light, the insides of buildings are ALWAYS lit (so much for dark rides unless they change it...), the terraforming tool can quickly place a pit that leads all the way to hades if you aren't very careful, the color palatte is again very limited, etc.

Some of the graphics are horrible...the flower beds...ICK! Didn't they learn ANYTHING from WW/TT???

I think this would be hard for me to 'build as you grow' with the park open...there's just a ton of buttons and sub-menus to tinker with.

I guess for the type of park maker I am, I fear this will become very old, very fast, the detail isn't there (something I love), I think there's a LONG ways to go before any sort of realistic, decent scenery or architecture is available (if ever). I can see this appealing to younger players who's main interests are to build coasters and ride them...I think they'll love it. But this game isn't aimed at the great object and park designers out there in my opinion...

I will still buy it and play it, but it will NOT replace rct2 for me.

I really wish someone would come up with a game that fully supported user-designed content without limits but with the style of RCT2...I'd buy it in a second!
Buckeye Becky
QUOTE (g-w-r @ Sep 28 2004, 02:03 PM)
56 hrs 32 minutes! banana-blink.gif

WOW...but yes If the demo is this much of a file, I cannot imagine the actual game.

I don't like how long it takes to load, RCT2 was bad enough but it also takes a while to shut down and my virtual memory is really bogged down. I have a fairly new computer with 256 MB RAM but I think I will need to double that to play this game without the long lags.

As for the game, it definitely has a slight learning curve and I'm not sure yet if it will adaptable to how we now 'make' parks. But, time will tell. It is fun to ride the rides though and I like the night mode and the fireworks.

I agree Wagi! All they really had to do was make RCT2 limitless and we all would have been happy...
Lord Excelsior
If you are having problems, clear your temporary files folder, I swear, that fixes everything...
Leonardofury
I've got it to work although the music is stuttery. Its a bit bubbly but I still need to properly play it.
homsar
I cant play it but Ive never really looked forward to this game. Not at all like the others. They made a jump to far with this. Maybe with better technolgy it would be cool but there pushing it very close to disaster right now. The should have made it like the others but with more features rides, scenery, and maybe some better controls. The need to make a game for the designers. We need stuff to. I think there really trying to hit the younger market with the new game. Alot younger!
skyvanman
I prefer RCT2 and when I want to ride a ride I use teh RCT COaster Rider program thing. RCT 3 is too different of an interface nad as others have said the demo is too limited. I think that RCT 3 willbe a big flop.
Leonardofury
There's a few things I dislike at the mo, the closing crosses being miles away from the stuff they close being one and seemingly being unable to build entrances/exits to custom tracked rides. However I'm willing to give them a bit longer and see how good the full version is. I do like the action scenary however.
rct222
that demo isnt that great... After that I still prefer RCT2... or 1.... I liked the coaster cam... cool, and the lamps actually do have a purpose and do work. but every thing and the controls are so confusing so I doubt its that good....
maddogmark25
come on, people...its a beta demo!!! its just that...A DEMO!!! so stop crying about how they didnt put enough in....its just to give you a test drive of a game...theyre not gonna give away much...whats there is plenty...stop crying and go get used to the controls...

hey, at least you can play it! (unlike me) so be happy for what atari gave you...hey, they couldve made us wait till november...
rct2nut
I dont think anyone is crying about it. They are just giving their opinions of the Demo. A Demo can tell alot about how the full version will be and if the demo isnt that good then more then likely the full version wont be either. Incidently I can not veiw the demo either, which means if I can't view the demo I doubt I can play the game. And with the limitations I am hearing that the Demo has I am sure I am better off. Just my opinion.
Josho
A demo is there to, not only give feedback on bugs, but also to give people a taste of what they can expect with the full game.

A lot of people have been very disappointed in the demo, so hopefully a move will be made to listen to what is wrong with it, and apply them in the final version of the game, and not apply those changes to an expansion. But if I were a betting man, I'd guess the changes will be implemented in an expansion. Profit tends to reign supreme over pride in the capitalist society.

For the fact I don't feel like getting a game which will probably require 10 different patches when it's released, plus a game that values eye candy over anything else, well quite frankly, RCT3 is too out of touch I reckon with its predecessors, which showed quality workmanship and balance.

@ maddogmark25. I believe the comments with what people have been saying stems from the fact the game has been hyped up, but just hasn't delivered. You've got to expect that. And when it comes to downloading a huge file, and it doesn't even run, it says little about the quality of the game being released. A beta should be able to run easily on a number of systems, and be enjoyable, because it means the game has been engineered well. The demo is looking like a rush job to fit in with contractual arrangements and Christmas sales.
Digicub
Actually Peeps, there are a lot of misleading statements being made on this thread....

..As someone who hangs out on the Official Atari Forums more than here I feel that I can comment that more RCT fans love the new Demo (s) than do not....Yup a lot people had problems with first Demo, but this was quickly identified as younger players who didn't realise that they had to update their NVIDIA/ATI graphics drivers and also install Direct X 9.0c to be able to launch the game....so they logged onto the Official Forums and whined and moaned and flamed Atari...

...If you chat to the older, veteran RCT members there is a large majority that love the new RCT3 style, and are VERY excited about the release...

...It's been obvious that Atari / Frontier have listened to a lot of the RCT Community for ideas and input, and have implemented all of these things we've been crying out for into the new game ( and yeah I know that tunnels is the No. 1 thing not included that everyone is up in arms about...yadda, yadda, yadda )...

....It seems that the RCT Community is turning into one big spoiled child, asking for things and then complaining as soon as they get them that they didn't get something else as well...and tell me Josho, how has RCT3 NOT 'delivered'??? The game is not even OUT yet and you'v ealready decided from the BETA Demo that the game is not as good as RCT2! The team at Frontier have 'delivered' us more than we wanted in the first place, and then some more! Sure, not everything is in the new version YET, but its a brilliant place to start - and offers us more control and park design options than RCT2 can ever do with its creaky old isometric screens...c'mon lets get this game progressing into the future!

I have had no problem running any of the Demo (s) and think the game looks fantastic and is a major improvement on RCT1 & 2 ( and they were my favourite all-time games up until now! ). The coming Expansion packs are going to really provide major customisation and expandability to the game, after this first taste there's no going back to RCT2 for me....why have 4 2D views when you can have full 360 degree 3D gorgeousness?

bring on the future....RCT3!!!
Leonardofury
Probably one of the main problems with the game itself is that its been so anticipated. People had an idea in their own mind of what it was going to be like and when it vary's from that idea they see it as a problem. I have some things I like and some things I dislike about it at the mo.

Like's

Firstly I love the on-ride cameras, they're great. The new peep groups are good as well. I also like the more customisable default scenary you get with the park and the colour changable queue line's. The animated reactive scenary is fun. I've heards theres a peep cam which would be good but I can't find it. That brings me nicely onto a couple of dislikes.

Dislike's

One are the controls, I feel that they are a bit to bubbly, especially the floating cross boxes. Certain parts of the menu especially the bit to build entrances are hard to find and the colour change is difficult to use. Things have under gone a shuffle around and I can't find how to rotate a park anymore. A manual would have been helpful with the demo. Some of the scenary is a bit weak, like the flowers. I also dislike the fact thet you can't place walls alongside paths like you could on RCT2.

I've decided to wait for some reactions to RCT3D before buying it, thought this also has something to do with a lack of money. The lack of tunnels and custom options also worries me. I hope these go in in an expansion pack.
ekimmel
I think it looks fabulous. My only complaint is that it probably won't run on my 600MHz computers.

As soon as I upgrade my PC I'll be getting it for sure. The ride-cam alone is worth it to me since I build a lot of coasters.
TheVelvetFoxx
I tested the demo on all of my PCs just to see how it would run. My oldest is a P2 350 and it runs fine on that. That PC is running XP Pro SP2 with not quite 200 megs of RAM. I do have a 128 meg ATI graphics card that helps things along, but still I haven't had any problems with the demo running.

bananarock.gif
ekimmel
I have an Athlon 600 with 256MB of memory and a 64MB GeForce2 card. Think it will run ok?
Digicub
Yup, Ekimmel i think it would - you probably won't get a lot of the advanced graphics features though - but all of the eye candy can be switched on or off through the graphics options. It scales the game to your computer system basically, have you tried the latest ( 1.2 ) demo yet? See if that works okay first....
Leonardofury
Luckily I got a new computer for my 18th birthday just over a year ago. I should have no problems running it.
ekimmel
QUOTE (Digicub @ Oct 27 2004, 01:45 AM)
Yup, Ekimmel i think it would - you probably won't get a lot of the advanced graphics features though - but all of the eye candy can be switched on or off through the graphics options. It scales the game to your computer system basically, have you tried the latest ( 1.2 ) demo yet? See if that works okay first....

Probably a good idea. I figured it would just refuse to install if I didn't have a fast enough computer.
ktysmi
Bought a new computer mainly for it, but not sure now I will buy the game.

The demo and I only did the first one for instance did not let you chance the colors on the supports for that wooden coaster.

I also am addicted to the wonderful custom scenery in the scenarios of Fossil and made by Marco and Brad. I don't see any scenery at that quality.

It just isn't very pretty. I miss the entry stations--I love abstract and canvas tents. These bring color to the rides.

I hope a few builders will make some good coasters and if the regular game allows imports and there starts being some good stuff out in the community for III, then I will buy it.

Now the suburbia, harry potter and LOR stuff here is better than anything Atari every made.

If they really wanted to "listen" to the community they would have Fossil creating the scenarios, Brad and Marco setting up the scenery, Mama Bear and the people at RCT Fun doing the plants and flowers, and Spunk designing the prebuilt flat rides.
Spunknit
Wow, thanks ktysmi! Now why didn't they think of that! banana_rollseyes.gif That makes me feel great!

(BTW, the check is in the mail! banana-wink.gif )

RCTycoon14
well I'm not going to buy it. My computer needs more memory, and a new video card. TOO MUCH MONEY! I'm satisfied with RCT2 when I get it.
Josho
On accounts from what I've been hearing and reading, it appears RCT 3 hasn't been recieved too well by a number of people, so I doubt I'll be heading out to buy it anytime soon. Of course, at the same token, others love it. Confusing...? My computer has the specs to run it 'apparently,' (according to http://ccon.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/index.jsp) but so far the biggest complaint I've noticed has been lag, especially when it comes to getting large numbers of guests in the park. And given the fact I have an nVidia card, with the game seemingly geared toward ATi, well it looks to be a gamble, bugs and all included.

I'm with ktysmi on this one. UCES did more for me than what the two expansions ever could have hoped for with RCT 2. Those involved get the big banana-wink.gif from one grateful user, as their work changed how I played, and saw the game (more than just build a park to make the requirements, I now take pride in my work).

There's no denying the fact RCT3 is a large leap into a new dimension for the series, but I'm the sort of annoying gamer that has to see replayability potential in a game... that might explain why my favourite all tiime games are Civilization and X-Com: Enemy Unknown / TftD. If the game isn't going to run well with big parks, then I doubt I'll bother. The demo never really gave me the chance to see how well large parks are handled.
Fossil
QUOTE (ktysmi @ Oct 27 2004, 04:36 PM)
If they really wanted to "listen" to the community they would have Fossil creating the scenarios, Brad and Marco setting up the scenery, Mama Bear and the people at RCT Fun doing the plants and flowers, and Spunk designing the prebuilt flat rides.

Thanks! smile.gif

Atari's scenario builder(s) can't get started until the program and scenery are nearly complete.

Considering product deadlines, this likely means that scenario development is measured in hours rather than weeks or months. Unfortunately, it shows.

From Atari's standpoint, they recognize that the community will fill the gaps. Why pay someone to do it when somebody else will do it for free?

Personally, if building scenarios was "work," the job would lose its attraction quickly.
Digicub
Okay guys, I wish you luck in staying with RCT2....I hope you keep on getting many years of fun and creativity out of this wonderful game....but Im sorry the New School of Parkmaking has arrived and I want to be a part of it!....its RCT3 for me from now on!!!
Dandello
I'm sticking with rCT2. At first the thought of 3D had me happy as I LOVE Sims2 in 3D, but in RCT3 it gives me a headache. And it is sooo much micromanaging also it took the fun out of it for me. I like to sit back and relax with my games..can't do that in RCT3 at all!!! In sandbox mode, yeah. But I love sceneiros and peeps won't even go on rides!! GRRRRR

Now I love the coaster riding bit and will d/l offered parks to tour othe rpeoples parks and ride the coasters, but that is the only part I really like.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.